• In the Spotlight:

What is the process of a induction??

i am 32wks and 5 days pregnant w/ a baby girl. I have Gestional Diabetes.(Just found out.) my midwife told me she is going to induce me @ 39 wks.
How does a induction go?I've never had to be induced w/ my other 2 kids.
If any of u ladies can help me I would appreciate it.
Thanks!

Aneq

Asked by Aneq at 2:12 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well you go to the hospital and check in. They will bring in either potocin or the vaginal medication to make you start contractions. You will lay in the bed for 2 hours and they they may have you up walking and they slowly increase the amount they give you until true labor starts. Once your far enough along they may break your water to get you to progress more. It could take awhile or it could be fast. Its mostly just medication to start your labor and if it doesn't start or you don't progress then they will do a c-section.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• They will give you man made petocin(natural hormone that induces labor), after that(if it hasn't happened) break your water with a crocheing needle looking stick. Its hell but they have to do it in your case because they don't want the baby to get too big and or you getting preclampsia(which is dangerous for you both!). Watch your sugar intake and monitor your blood(if they have you doing it), and let them do the rest!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I was started with both of mine and there is a # of way u need to talk to ur midwife and ask what way she is going to do...my moms midwife had my mom have sex, go on a hard walk, then gave her some weird tea thing or something and and it only took my mom 5 hours to have a 9lbs baby
    thats natural way that my mom did i just took the iv and walked
    Anonymous