In your experience is it true that if your first child is really good the second is a terror?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• no, every child is different. People only say that when they get an easy first and the second one doesn't fit their little plan of a easy baby. My sister had 3 easy babies in a row.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• No my first is a little terror and i'm pregnant with my second so the jurys still out on that.
    Anonymous

• well my 7 week old is such a great baby that i'm almost nervous about ever having a second one!! He sleeps so good (through the night already!!!) and cries when he needs something...but thats it! I'm not sure if we'll have a second just because of how often I hear this old wives tale :-P
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• No, my first is a terror and my son (2nd born) is AWESOME. So I disagree with that statement. Completely.... well, for now at least. lol. Things could change.
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 2:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• We have four and they have all been awesome since day one. It's all in the parenting ... discipline must start early, stay consistent & be balanced with lots of love, hugs and kisses.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 2:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• OMG!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are like night and day my two.. Dude is so good and did everything early.. JB is slow at everything... its crazy the diff..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 2:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My first goes through stages of both... he was REALLy good as ababy, and now, at 2... hes an absolute monster....
    so im hoping that they will equal eachother out in behavior lol
    trystons_mommy

Answer by trystons_mommy at 2:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• NO! Its not true!! I have 6 and they are all good kids!! It is all about positive parenting and loving your children. If you have a preconcieved idea about one of your children then yes your bound to have a problem. If you lable your child, then Yes you will definetly have a problem. I have always used possitives with my chidren from the time they were infants. I redirected my little ones instead of always saying no. My LO didnt get into things they werent suppose to, I always left my breakables out. I spent lots and lots of time snuggling, playing, and talking with my kids. Now with 3 teens, we talk about everything and I enjoy every minute of it. I can honestly say I really love having teenagers, they are great! I have 3 driving and 2 have gone to prom. With all the ages and stages I have really great kids.
    susan6xblessed

Answer by susan6xblessed at 2:51 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My mom used to say she was glad I wasn't her first because I'd have spoiled her for the rest of the siblings. (I slept through the night early, etc.) I think it's just the luck of the draw as it were. Some kids are born more laid back while others are more aggressive in nature.
    I have learned one thing from other parents about this issue. NEVER say, "MY child would NEVER do _______," when referring to the behavior of someone else's "little terror." It will most assuredly come back to haunt you someday! LOL
    TexaBamaBaby

Answer by TexaBamaBaby at 2:53 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I don't think so but I agree with what someone said above. If you get a really mellow baby the first time around you tend to think any baby that isn't that way is difficult.
    My first was a very laid back, easy going baby. She didn't cry much and was happy all the time. My son (born 15 months later) was the opposite. He had colic and reflux and was easily overstimulated. It was completely different then my first and totally threw me. I didn't know how to deal with that. Then 13 months later I had my 3rd and she was more mellow then the first. She was sleeping through the night at 5 weeks and rarely cried.
    Now look at them years later and my oldest is the most difficult child I have ever met (she has behavior issues) and my son is laid back and always helpful and happy. The 3rd is just as mellow as she was as a baby.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2009