This didn't take long, huh?

LAPORTE COUNTY | The swine flu is being used in a potential telephone scam. According to LaPorte County police, an employee of the Blacksmith Shop restaurant in Rolling Prairie was contacted Monday on the telephone and told the business was required to purchase a $398 swine flu kit.

The employee also was told buying the kit was mandated by the Department of Homeland Security and it could be purchased through his company.

Police said the employee realized it was a scam when the caller was unable to provide educated answers to her many questions.

LaPorte County Sheriff Mike Mollenhauer said the Department of Homeland Security confirmed there is no such requirement.

my4lads

Asked by my4lads at 2:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope, that didn't take long.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 2:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• It was bound to happen sooner or later.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 2:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• What state is LaPorte County in?
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 2:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Apparently low lifes are not too different than our current administration.lol

You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.
    Rahm Emanuel
    Anonymous

• What state is LaPorte County in?

Indiana, near Chicago
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• No surprise on my behalf. People are always looking for a way to scam others out of money and what better way than to prey on the scare of the swine flu.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 3:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Wow! What a brilliant idea! I'm glad the employee didn't fall for it. I wonder what it will take to catch the culprit(s) ?
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I guess it's no secret that you shouldn't let a crisis go to waste. I guess it's not just a Rahm thing.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:17 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Yep, crisis is an excellent marketing tool, stock in the drug co. that makes tamiflu is doing very well.
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 5:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• People can be so mean, that is just wrong!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 5:35 PM on Apr. 28, 2009