Depressed Teen ...

Kinda at a loss on this one. My DD is 17 , She's very quiet,shy. she had this boyfriend for alittle over 7 months. He was really good to her. Help bring her out of her shell alot. Then just out of the blue broke up said he wasn't feeling happy anymore (which i believe it was more than that. She talked to me about everything ,I don't believe he liked this.) But Now she just kinda Numb to the world. She was pretty good at helping around the house. I had surgery last week and she knew she was gona have to HELP alot afterwards. But this last week she wouldn't come out of her room, hardly eats anything. was ask over and over to just do the dishes (she took 4 days before she got around to doing them.) I took her cell phone away yesterday. But she just acts as if she don't care. I know she's going throw alot right now. but Right now i need her. I don't know what else to do. I don't want her to think the world is closing in on her.

Shaqbe4u

Asked by Shaqbe4u at 2:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Best thing I can think of is sit down and talk to her about how she's feeling, how it's impacting the world around her, and what does she think you can do to help her get passed this.
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 2:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• A break up is really hard! I would just let her know that you are there if she wants to talk. Maybe schedule a day when you two could hang out. Go to a movie or out for lunch. Maybe get a movie and watch it at home together. Something to let her know how special she is to you.
    officefan01

Answer by officefan01 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Well to her the world is closing in on her. I have been in her situation. I am 25 and married to the same guy I have been with for 10 years. but at one time he broke up with me because he said he needed a break. Well I know you need her help right now but you need to understand that she was probably in love with this guy. Her heart has been broken and she needs a mother and a friend more than anything right now. She probably feels like she will never love anyone anymore because of how bad she is hurting. Go into her room sit with her on her bed and just have a woman to woman talk with her. Just listen to everything she has to say and tell her you will not judge you will just listen and support. and maybe after she gets some things out in the open and not so bottled up inside maybe you could get more help around the house and she will come back out of that shell. good luck!!
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 2:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• well i just turned 19 I have been married for 6 months and i am almost three months pregnant! I went through the same thing before me and my husband got together! If she feels anything like me she needs a lot of change to satisfy her. a spicy relationship , dangerous lifestyle, or new places. she is very upset right now and will be for a while one thing she does not need is for you to take things away from her she actually needs you to talk to her and make her feel secure. she will be rebelious she is the age i was when i moved out she is stuck in two worlds that neither of the two she understands so you must try to ...to help her!! PLEASE dont take that in offense I am just trying to help!
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I keep her home from school last Friday , went got our eye brows done. Did alittle shopping ( couldn't really get out much cause of my surgery) we ate lunch out . But she's still withdrawing.
    I feel bad about going ahead and taken her cell phone but that was always the rule if she didn't do what she was told. so i felt i had to keep my word with it .
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 2:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I would give her the cell phone back. It sounds like she is sad over the breakup. If this is her first relationship it's a hard thing to deal with. The best thing you can do is just be there for her, talk to her, comfort her. Keep an eye on her and if she doesn't get back to normal within a month or two, have her talk to a counselor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Thanks everyone , It just helps to have some one to talk to about this. This was her real First love. Husband and I both really liked this guy as well. I just want to cry with her most of the time. But we'll keep an eye on her. We are turning her phone back on now that she did the dishes. lol And I'm gona keep talking with her .. thanks everyone
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 4:17 PM on Apr. 28, 2009