swine flu?????!!!!??????

i think the swine flu is just another way to put fear in us, what do you think christians?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Christian or not, you should be afraid.... it could kill you.
    Anonymous

• Well I am agnostic and it concerns me as I have a 7 month old. But since I am not a christian my answer is probably wrong so what would Jesus do anon 2:45 (original poster.)
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• It could kill you but what is there to be afraid of? If you are going to get it you are going to get it and if it is your time to go to leave this world then you are going to leave this world.
    momwifelove

Answer by momwifelove at 2:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• The swine flu or any other influenza for that matter is not a scare tactic. It is for real and it can be deadly. Christians, Catholics, Muslims, and Atheists ALL get it. No one is immune.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• It's not a scare tactic. It's a real illness that we should all be concerned about, but there's no use in freaking out about it. As Christians, we should have no fear because we know that God is in control and his will will be done, right? :)
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 3:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Scare tactics? Are you kidding me?? People are DYING and you chock it up to scare tactics?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Quit freaking out people.....here's a good video that puts it in perspective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB5-Y08qbjo
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• What would be the purpose of hyping swine flu to strike fear into the hearts of Christians? I don't get it! That being said, I think the media has been having a field day with pandemic flu concerns for the past several years (I was reading a ton of 'we're all going to die!' stories about bird flu when my five year old was a baby.) At this point I really don't think we know enough about this virus to know how alarmed we should be... we really don't know what the mortality rate is (despite the 'high' death rate in Mexico, mild cases are probably going untested and uncounted so what we see is the tip of a bigger iceberg.) We don't know if this virus is going to have a death rate the same as seasonal flu or higher... we really need that info before hitting the panic button!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• And just for perspective... the worst modern flu pandemic was the Spanish flu of 1918/1919... in an age before antivirals and intubation, the death rate of that particularly awful virus was 2.5%. 98.5% of infected people got better on their own. If you were diagnosed with cancer and had a 98.5% chance of not dying, you would feel pretty good about it.
    Don't get me wrong, I am concerned enough that I stocked up on extra food when I got groceries yesterday... if there is a flu outbreak in my area in the next few weeks I don't want to be dragging my kids around the grocery store getting coughed on. I think a pandemic is a serious health threat, but I think we need to know what are afraid of so we can strategies, not just be scared silly by something we don't know the first thing about. You know how many people on this site have said they are not worried because they don't eat pork? Knowledge is power, people!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Although we don't eat pork in our house, the Swine flu is not caught by eating pork. For more info, go here: http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/swineflu_you.htm

Now being a Christian, I always worry about things that could infect my family. ALWAYS. Thats why I take special precautions to make sure my kids hands are clean, etc. So yes, I am concerned, but I can't let it run my life. I just need to take necessary precautions.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 3:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2009