Is it normal for my son to not be interested in other kids?

I have recently started taking my 7 month old son to an infant storytime at our local library. The first time we went, he just sat there and didn't move the whole time. I figured it was because he hasn't really been around too many other babies. Well we just went again this morning and he did the same thing. Not even a smile or any babbling. All the other kids were playing and he just sat there. Is there something wrong or is he just shy? He doesn't act like this at home so why would it be different anywhere else?

r_elizabeth2290

Asked by r_elizabeth2290 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There's nothing wrong. They usually dont start to acknowledge other kids until they turn into more of toddlers. My daughter was like this in new places too for the longest time. She acted completely different than how I knew her at home, she was quiet and shy and still, didnt babble like usual or laugh or talk. It will take him some time to warm up, but dont worry, there's nothing wrong with him!
    Anonymous

• It is a new situation for him. Babies go through a time anyway when they play alongside but not with other children. He'll get more used to the situation in time.

Answer by Bmat at 3:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Kids don't typically interact with each other until 2. Before that they parallel play where they will sit next to each other but not really interact. They may copy and steal toys, but they don't udnerstand the other child is playing too. Before a year, it's all about me for baby. Other babies? No, I'm the only baby, just me! :)

So yes, your child is normal!
    Anonymous

• my daughter is 7 months and at home she sees no other babies when we go out she freaks out and talks and smiles at other kids so i dont know but when it comes to strangers talking to her or holding her she is soooooooo shy and scared. i think there is nothing wrong with your son
    em9x

Answer by em9x at 4:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2009