Just came back from the Doctors and....

She said my baby is developing great..everything is fine, EXCEPT her weight?!

I'm concerned and a lil freaked out and to be quite honest a lil upset. I knoew she was a lil chubby..but not so much. She had a spike this month from last month when i took her in for a check up when she was sick.

I dunno what I shoudl do..the doc states to cut down her formual and stop her night time feedings...which means I will not be able to sleep..or whatever sleep I do get I will not be getting any.

Either way, has anyone else every gone thru this?
Any suggestions on some good basics for baby food.
what type of meals do you give your kids?

My girl is 9 months, and she eats practicaly anything you put in her mouth. She does get Indian food also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

brownie75

Asked by brownie75 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe you could give her water in her bottle at the times you would normally feed her at night. It might get her back to sleep without the extra calories.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 2:58 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Do as the doctor said with her nighttime feedings. Then cut her back down to the basics, fruit, veggies, a little bit of meat, and some grains. That is really all that she needs. Also make sure she isn't drinking any juice, water only with meals. GL!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 2:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• well how much did her weight spike in that month? I would not cut her bedtime feeding. i would however cut out the indian food. that could really upset her tummy and has a lot of extra fat and grease. how much does she weigh now?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 2:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• She should be sleeping all night at 9 months and not needing to eat every few hours so I would listen on that. Cut back on her food intake and give her healthier foods like veggies and fruit. She only needs 3 meals and maybe 2 snacks a day. Our daughter is 7 months and she eats table food as well but she gets no more than a spoonful of the sides unless its veggies and no more than 10 bites of meat. If she is formula fed give her water in place of a bottle or some juice.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Our son has been eating anything and everything no stop since he started rice ceral really. He a chunk but is healthy and not over weight. He would keep eating and I would wonder how can he still be hungry. Well, I actually cut back on a ton a food at one sitting. Instead I feed him 3 meals a day (he is now 13 months) and snacks in between. That way his belly doesn't get so full and streched out. Once is got mobile he slimmed down a bit too. GL
    Anonymous

• It's very easy to over-feed a formula fed baby because they are often pressured to finish the bottle even if they act full and it quickly becomes habit. They start to ignore their body when it tells them their full and continue to eat becasue that is what their parents have taught them. Cut down on the formula. Start giving her an ounce or two less per bottle, when she finishes it if she cries make her wait twenty minutes(that's how long it takes our stomachs to actually feel full), and then if she still is acting hungry offer her another ounce.

For her nighttime feedings offer her water in a bottle rather than formula and she will eventually not wake up for it because it's not worth it. And you DONT have to let her cry it out, check out the CIO alternatives group here on cafemom.

Good luck!
    Anonymous

• This is what pisses me off about this country!!! Doctors are never happy!!! A baby is either too small or too big! As long as she is healthy and doesn't weigh 15lbs over norm let her be!!! Once she is walking some of that will shed any ways! If you're really concerned then change her diet. give more fruits and veggies to snack on rather than junk food or other fatty foods.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• We had something similar happen, I don't remember it was such a young age. I think closer to a year. I cut back to lean meat, vegetables, fruits. Perhaps you could still do night feedings but make it skim milk- seems to me that would be better if the baby is hungry than nothing or water. If you are feeding juice cut way back on that. A few bites of fruit would be better than sugary juice. The baby will continue to grow, so I don't think you need to think of a reducing diet at all, just a little lower calorie diet than you are feeding now, perhaps.

Answer by Bmat at 3:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Thank you so much to everyone who has answered my concerns.
    I feel a lil better, and I hope to put her on a good schedule of all foods as now I will start introducing meats to her.

brownie75

Answer by brownie75 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Keep in mind too that babies do tend to spike during growth spurts. Yours may have just happened at an odd time. I'm surprised the doc made such a big deal out of it rather than waiting a month or two to see how the growth progresses. Your daughter may slow and not have another big growth until after a year.
    Anonymous