Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My baby doesn't have insurance anymore help please.

my baby and i were covered by a welfare like insurance but after she was born i recieved a letter saying that if we didn't file child support papers we might get cut off. insurance is running out with the state because I don't want to have my boyfriend pay child support being that he lives with us and pays the bills how do i get insurance for her. is she eligable on his even though we're not married? i can't afford to go directly through the insurance company what are the rules in hawaii? any suggestions?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Health

Answers (6)
  • You should be claiming his income-you still may qualify-at least for the baby.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

  • she should be eligible on BF's insurance, you pay the premium for parent/child instead of a single

    Answer by chuggerboysmom at 3:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

  • I am actually surprised that they haven't been garnishing his wages. Since you are getting support from the state, and he is not paying, in many other states he would have to repay that support you have been receiving. The child is still his dependent and if he is claiming him on HIS income tax, I dont see why he wouldn't be able to get him covered through his insurance policy, but it depends on the company and their policies, he needs to find out.

    Answer by 2-1CavWife at 3:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

  • You can go to the child support, set up the amount that would be taken out of his paycheck and have a hold placed on it while you are living with him. Then if he moved out, all you would have to do is call the child support agency and tell them he moved out and the order would be enforced. You will also have to claim his income to stay on medical. If he has medical at work, then he should be putting her on his insurance.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

  • Find a local social services agency to help you with the process.

    Answer by rkoloms at 7:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

  • She should be covered on his insurance. You wouldn't be, but she should be, because she's his daughter, regardless of whether you guys are married. Try asking whoever handles the HR stuff where he works. They usually know this stuff. Good luck!

    Answer by musicpisces at 3:41 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Health
Is this normal

Next question overall (General Parenting)
Double Stroller Advice