Is it normal for a 2 year old's eating habbits to change dramatically?

My son is 2 and was a very good eater, would eat anything and ate more than any 2 year old I know. All of a sudden the last few weeks he hardly eats at all, he has been skipping meals, and snacking less. We just had another baby and he seems to be hadleing that well, do you think this is just his way of getting extra attention or something to be concerned about?

mindyf12

Asked by mindyf12 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son' is 2 and will eat us out of house and home one day and then barely touch anything for days... He will also like one thing one day and hate it the next. I just give him choices like holding up the yougurt and the jello and ask him which one he would like to have and he picks. That seems to work the best..
    mommy2bryson

Answer by mommy2bryson at 9:19 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• he is busy mommy.....he has got alot to do with his time. new things are surrounding him and he is exploring he will eat when he is hungry
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 3:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My doctor told me at my son's two year check up that it was totally normal for him to have changing eating habits. So I wouldn't worry about it too much, just keep an eye on him.
    MyBoyAndrew

Answer by MyBoyAndrew at 3:12 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• my son ate great til he turned 2, he'll be 5 this Thursday, still very limited selection foodwise for him. Drives my husband crazy. At his 2 yr. old visit, i asked the dr. about it and he told me this was typical and it would get worse before it got better. He eats fruit, peanut butter, cheese , drinks milk, takes vitamins, eats chicken -absolutely no red meat or vegetables.
    Dr. says he's healthy, i don't worry
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 3:12 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Stick to the normal feeding schedule and try to make sure he gets healthy foods at each meal and snack. MAYBE cut back on his snacks so he'll eat more at his meals, or offer "meal foods" (sandwiches for example) as a snack.

Just my thoughts...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Yes, this is totally normal. Keep offering your son healthy small meals more frequently and only offer him healthy snacks. His eating habbits have leveled off because his growing pattern has leveled off. As soon as his body starts a growth spurt again he will begin eating alot more. You will see this pattern again and again over the years with all of your children. Also the more active they are the more they eat, so it's important to keep healthy foods available. Your little guy is right on track i'm sure.
    susan6xblessed

Answer by susan6xblessed at 5:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2009