The Commandments of Christ

After much searching, I finally found a list! Yea!!

This come DIRECTLY from JESUS himself - those red words in some of y'all's King James bible, LOL.

As Christians, we are no longer bound by the old laws of the OT. The laws given here were what Christ gave us to abide by.

Enjoy!

http://www.loveallpeople.org/pearl-thecommandmentsofjesus.html

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yup, there is plenty of disagreement of just what law he was referring to. However my take on it is that it was the entire law, from Leviticus to Deuteronomy. The whole law that governed the tribe of Israel.. As it is the Ten Commandments is a misnomer and a tiny part of the law as given. You have Exodus Chapter 20 which is much longer than just 10 and Deuteronomy Chapter 5 and then what about Exodus Chapter 34....which one is the "Ten Commandments?" If anything the Ten Commandments is a mere compilation of those chapters, not quite something found without modification in the bible.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 3:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Then how do you address Matthew 5:17~19?
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 3:20 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• isabella...I have a few verses that say otherwise. If you'd like me to post them let me know.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• isabellalecour -

That's a great question. My personal belief is that the "law" he is referring to here is the Ten Commandments. But that's MY interpretation of what he's saying. I'm sure there will be about 50 or so people here in a second that completely disagree with me, LOL.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• We are not to think that Jesus' teaching in those verses intends to alter, abrogate, or replace the moral content of the OT law. He neither gives a new law nor modifies the old but rather explains the true significance of the moral content of Moses' law and the rest of the OT.

fulfill...this speaks of fulfillment in the same sense that prophecy is fulfilled. Christ indicates that He fulfills the law in all its aspects. He fulfills the moral law by keeping it perfectly. He fulfills the ceremonial law by being the embodiment of everything to which the law's types and symbols pointed. And He fulfills the judicial law by personifying God's perfect justice.

MacArthur Bible Commentary
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Galations 3 : 19

What was the purpose of the law? Paul's answer is that the law reveals man's utter sinfulness, inability to save himself, and desperate need of a Savior. It was never intended to be the way of salvation.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• ReneeK3, you're free to post what you like. I'm not the OP of this question.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 3:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• True, but at the same time, some of the laws given in those books were food prep and cleanliness laws as well - are we then expected to abide by those as well? Exodus 20 is the 10 commandments, and I feel that 34 is simply restating the same with some further explanation (because Moses' people were ornery like that, LOL). Deuteronomy is another example of restating and elaboration on the original 10
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Yea there is some redundancy but as to how much of the law is to be followed greatly depends on how one views Jesus. Is he the messiah or not? Is he the son of God or not? Did he have the authority to abrogate the law? But if your intending on keep the law, then all the laws have to be kept as one is not of more importance than the others.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 3:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• That's my point, though.

Christians are no longer bound by the laws of the old testament, but rather the laws given to us by Christ (the list given above).
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2009