Mommy going back to work after child is 3 yearsold

I wanted to know is it okay for mommy to go back to work after the child is 3 years old.. Because i feel like i should help my husban out because he works 5 days a week and i want to help out do my part but i just don't want leave me son and feel like i just said to my self okay time go back to work.. And try be there for my son too...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This is something that you and your husband should decide together.

Since you are asking though, in my opinion it is better for the mommy to stay at home and be there for her kids. This is what I'm doing for my son and my mom did for me. I am so grateful that she stayed home with us. I have a very close relationship with her and even though we live 2000 miles away from each other, we still talk on the phone almost every day. We also visit each other as often as we can under the circumstances. In fact, my siblings and I are very close as well and I believe that this is in part to my mom staying home and homeschooling us.

Now granted, you may still get that closeness even if you work, but you won't be there all the time and it can be heartbreaking to leave a child, even for a short time each day. If you do really feel like you need to work some, another option is to work from home.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 3:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I feel it is fine..I went back when my daughter was 3..I can tell you this I cried for weeks..
    but she was ok..It is an adjustment or can be an adjustment for her.
    I feel it does teach them independence.
    If you ask my daughter why does mommy go to work..
    she will say to buy bread, cheese, milk and toys..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I think its fantastic you stayed home with your son.

Maybe you could try something part time to begin with it you want your son to get used to it?

In all honesty - I wont be getting a job ever again (I make enough online and my boyfriend is a metal music producer). When I got pregnant we both quit jobs and started making a living from home. So you dont necessarily have to do the norm - think outside the box ;) maybe find something that isnt going to interfere with your time too much with your son.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• You need to make sure that by the time you pay for childcare, office clothes, bus fare or gas, packed lunch, etc, you will actually be bringing in more money.
    I have worked full time for most of my daughter's life, now that she is 13, my husband and I are both running businesses out of our home.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I had to go back to work too. I work overnights. I do not like to think of someone else watching my kids. I figure the hubby can handle them sleeping. LOL.. So I am there for them.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 8:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My daughter is three and I'm about to go back to work. I'll only be working part time, so I'm hoping it won't be too traumatic for either one of us. DD will be home with Daddy. She's going though a phase where she wants me to do EVERYTHING for her. I'm hoping some one on one time with Daddy will break her of this "Mama do it" stuff.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 9:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2009