HElp, How can I make teen boys (4of EM') keep their room clean???

I'm a mother of 2 boys & 2 stepsons & I am in desperate need of how to make them clean up their room. They clean it when I tell em' to & then 1 hour later its a wreck again. I have taken away phones, t.v's, computers, & everything else under the sun!!! Nothing is working. WHAT DO I DO???? Any suggestions MOMS out there?

Me2dznb

Asked by Me2dznb at 3:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Tell them that what ever is on the floor at the end of the day gets thrown into a Garbage bag and they have to earn the things back.
    MamaAlderman_2

Answer by MamaAlderman_2 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• You don't. you just have to deal with it.
    Anonymous

• The problem with messy rooms is YOUR PROBLEM not your kids. They even respect the fact that you want it clean by cleaning it up when you ask.

Just get over it. Its their space. You can't make someone be a tidy person by punishing - just be grateful you have kids who will clean up when asked to.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• You can either do the first answer which will probably not go very well or you can lay down a few ground rules no food, dirty clothes in the hamper, no trash, and then ignore the rest.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 3:35 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I'd suggest something simular to MamaAlderman.... warn them what ever is out of place goes in the trash, it stays there they have to replace it them selves... works like a charm
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 3:35 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• You don't, shut the door and ignore them. They will come around when they have no clean clothes. I would have one rule, NO FOOD in the bedroom. If they want to live in a pigsty, that is their choice.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Take every thing away. Put a matress on the floor, take all clothes but 2-3 outfits. Basically make their room into an army barrack. No TV, No computer. Nothing. Let them earn stuff back over time. If there isnt anything to make a mmess with, there wont be a mess.
    5isenoughforme

Answer by 5isenoughforme at 3:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I agree with poster #1!

Give a warning with strict expectations and deadlines then out with it! (Oh, also I HAVE -not just talk-) Made MY boys tell me what it is that they want from the stuff that they had taken. I gave it back in that order...when they couldn't remember what they had anymore I threw the rest out! Obviously it wasn't that important to them or they would have remembered to
    1. Pick it up.
    2. Remember what the h@ll they had lost!

I have only had to do thice ONCE! Since then rooms are cleaned and tidy IF they are not I ask the kids "Do I need to clean your room?" The answer is always "NO, mom I will do it __(time)_____!"

My house is clean, my kids are clean, and that is very important.--Oh yeah and they respect what I say and follow through with my expectations. It sucks to have to be in charge, but that's why I am called "Mom"! It's just my job.
    malindasb

Answer by malindasb at 3:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• When I hit about 15, my parents just kept my door closed.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:56 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I couldn't get my two boys to clean their room. I decided this was my problem not theirs and they'd get tired of living in messy rooms. I kept their rooms closed. I showed them where the clean sheets were and would wash them if they changed their beds. Otherwise they lived in their own mess.

Answer by Bmat at 6:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2009