what is scarlett fever?

My son's preschool called me today and let me know that my son was exposed to scarlett fever by another child. And that I have to have him tested.

rennisance

Asked by rennisance at 3:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It usually occurs with a bad bout of strep throat. My son had this. If he has it they will give him antibiotics for it. If he does have it watch for a full body rash. It won't be a complete rash but splotchy.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 3:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Scarlet fever is associated with strep, however my 5 yr old had it when she was 2 without strep. Its a fever above 101.3 and the body has a redish, bumpy texture on torso. Can be deadly if not treated. So I hope you made the appointment!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 3:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• It is a rash associated with strep throat and you don't need to have your child tested. My son had it and the doctor said that he is contagious for 24 hrs, he needed anitbiotics and was fine. The rash will usually show up out of nowhere and on the trunk of the body (stomach/chest). I really wouldn't worry about it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• i had rhuematic fever when i was little and that affects the heart if not treated.i have to take penicillin if i go to the dentist.it is also associated with strep.i remember my knees were the size of tree trunks.i was really sick.
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 1:56 PM on Apr. 29, 2009