How often do you take your child to the doctor?

I only take them for their check ups/ shot schedule. But I notice a lot of moms on here give the advise to take a kid to the doctor more times then not. Am I too laid back?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I take mine to appointments they are supposed to, like getting shots/checkup. If they aren't feeling good, or consistent cold, will make appropriate appts.
    Anonymous

• Ours is 13; we take her for school and camp checkups. The only non-checkup visit was two years ago; we thought she had mono or strep, but it was just a nasty virus.
    And last spring, there was a meningitis outbreak in the neighborhood where her school is located, so we took her in for the vax.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I do the same as you but I do take mine when they are sick, but only if it lasts longer than a cold should, if they have a high fever, a rash because they usually indicated strep...I am a nursing major LOL so i know when to take them...if a runny nose is green or yellow I take them to the Dr. Times like that...
    Anonymous

• once a year, unless she need to go for something specific. Luckily, she was blessed with a great immune system. She is the only to never get sick, even when she is surrounded by sick people. I blame it on 2 years of breastfeeding.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I take my son for his yearly physical and when he is sick and it is not viral. I can tell when he has something minor or a virus (where they will just say "wait it out") vs. something that needs antibiotics. I am not one of those moms that freaks out over a sniffle and rushes him to the dr. If he is really not well and it is something I do not feel comfortable trying to take care of, of course I will call the dr or take him in, but I have common sense and know when it is something they will just send us right back home with no meds.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 4:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Mine are 9, 7, and 2. I take my 9 and 2 year olds to the doctor when they get sick and I have tried every home remedy known to man. My 7 year old has asthma so he goes about 4 times a year. The older 2 go to the eye doctor once a year because they both need glasses.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 4:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Mine haven't been to see a doctor in over 2 years. We don't have health insurance, so we don't do the regular check-ups. I will take them if they are persistently sick, but that hasn't happened in a long time.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 4:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Under the age of two my kids got sick all the time. Dylan, he's 4 yo, has had chronic ear infections since he was 3 months old. He has had 3 sets of tubes, his adenoids and his tonsils removed. In all he has had 5 surgeries. He still gets ear infections and his last set of tubes was in November. Other than his follow-up appointments for that, hopefully he won't go to the doctor until Dec for his 5 year check-up. Wyatt, he's 27 months old. From the time he was born we were in and out of the doctor's office and hospital. First it was the jaundice that was causing problems with his liver. Then it was the RSV and bronchitis. Then he started getting chronic ear infections. Ended up getting tubes in his ears at 11 months old. When he was 14 months he was hospitalized for a week with Rota Virus. Since he turned 2 he's been doing good. Haven't had a sick appointment since Dec. I think age 2 is the magic age for my kids.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 4:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My kids are 7, 5, and 3. They go to the pediatrician once a year for well-child checks unless they get sick in between with a bad cold or respitory infections. They give them a full screening eyes, ears, bodies and give them shots if needed. They all three go to the eye doctor once a year also before school starts, I have it perfectly scheduled for Aug. each year. They all three go to the dentist EVERY six months to get their teeth cleaned and the 3 year old gets painted with floride also, but they haven't cleaned her teeth or done x-rays yet until she starts school.
    Kimx3babies

Answer by Kimx3babies at 4:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• my SIL goes straight to the ER for everything. for her 2 yro DD and herself. recently she went to the ER because her DD had pinkeye.
    her DH is already getting garnished for med bills.
    I understand if she is nervous about her DD getting seriously sick....but gee wiz.
    Anonymous