How many of your children have suffered from Febrile Seizures?

My Son experienced his first last Wednesday, and it was so scary, even though its not fatal it is a horrible feeling watching him experience it. You feel so helpless....So I was wondering how many other little ones have suffered from them. I was trying to find a group specifically for "Febrile Seizures" and noticed there is not one on cafemom, I couldn't believe it! I am thinking about starting one of my own, where we can come together and just talk about them and have support for one another....

MommytoBabyCole

Asked by MommytoBabyCole at 4:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Health

• I have not experienced them with my 7 week old...how old is your LO? My MIL did tell me that my DH had them a lot when he was a baby, so I would be interested in joining your group if you made one!! Just because I am nervous about mine getting them once he gets a little older.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 4:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My son is almost 2 he will be 2 years old next month....The doctor said it happens between the ages of 6 month and 6 years, once they hit 6 years old they stop b/c their body has matured enough to handle the fevers.....I did some research on them, so if I did start a group I would make a post with all the facts that I have found etc......I just don't want to make a group and have no one join....you know?
    MommytoBabyCole

Answer by MommytoBabyCole at 4:12 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My cousin had them when she was little and she is now 27 and doing fine. The doctor told my aunt to treat any fever right away.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My son suffers from a seizure disorder in general. His are non convulsive most of the time, however he does have muscle spasms sometimes. With some of the medication he's been on, we've learned its not allowed his body the capability of sweating. You probably think what's that got to do wtih Febrile seizures, but it does. If your body can't sweat it can't regulate the temperature. We live in Florida so its always hot. One day while my friend was sitting him, he sat on her patio and it caused him to run a temp and had a febrile seizure...simply from not being able to sweat. Just recently he was walking from the lunch room back to his class room, got to class and teacher noticed a rash. She sent him to clinic where they called me about a "rash." I get there and he's twitching and running a fever, completely out of it. He was having a febrile seizure again! Its SCARY! I like the idea of a group. :)
    ranze11617

Answer by ranze11617 at 12:07 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• For anyone who is interested I made a group for moms with children with febrile seizures.... http://www.cafemom.com/group/103374
    MommytoBabyCole

Answer by MommytoBabyCole at 3:05 PM on Apr. 30, 2009