Formula to milk

My DD's doctor told me to start adding milk to her formula to get her used to it. She is 11 months old. Well when I do she spits up clabbored stinky milk evey time, if I dont put the milk in it she is fine. She has a milk based formula so I dont know what the big deal is..Does she need lactose free milk or soy? It was easy with my older daughter she went from soy formula to soy milk till she was 18 months...Im lost. Any ideas?

lvnmygrlz

Asked by lvnmygrlz at 4:15 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My ped told me not to mix the two, that it causes a sour tummy. Try giving her a bottle of formula, then the next bottle, do milk. I just switched my son Cold turkey and he did fine. Dont mix the two. Good luck!
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 4:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I wouldn't mix it. Just make the switch. We switched "cold turkey" with all three of ours, too. Our pediatrician told us not to mix, just to make the switch.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Zach's ped said not to mix it either. I started alternating bottles at 11 months, now he's on whole milk all the time.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 4:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Try a fortified rice milk or soy milk instead. Or just switch to water, and feed lots of calcuim rich foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I've never heard that you should mix the two. You can try alternating, or go cold turkey when the time is right. Try getting another opinion for a ped outside your ped's practice (docs in the same practice often will not go against each other's advice).
    Also, here's an article about the AAP's new recommendations about milk and babies.
    http://children.webmd.com/news/20080711/baby-milk-recommendations-changed
    Because of the obesity epidemic, they're recommending low fat milk if you have a family history of obesity, heart disease, or diabetes.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:52 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• musicpisces.

Thanks for the advice about asking another Pedi office, I will do that. However obesity I dont think is a problem. She only weighs 17lbs and is almost a year. Same with my older DD she is 3 and weighs 27lbs.
    lvnmygrlz

Answer by lvnmygrlz at 9:51 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• It was just an FYI. There's a lot of it now, so I was just putting it out there. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2009