If you want to be a SAHM, does this make sense to you?...

You have to willing to make the decision that your children are more important than material things, something that most 2 income parents aren't willing to do. Most 2 income families could do just fine on one income, but they have just gotten used to a certain standard of living and aren't willing to make the sacrifices necessary to live on one income. Most people have absolutely no financial plan in place & just fly by the seat of their pants when it comes to their money. No planning, no self control, no responsibility and no restraint. So many people, especially those who can't afford it to begin with, spend ridiculous amounts of money on beer, cigarettes, eating out, and junk food. All things that they can't afford yet choose to be selfish and stupid and spend money on anyway. If most people would cut out all the non-essentials, they'd be shocked at how much money they really do have.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• very true..................
    I wish more people would take an interest in personaly raising their children.
    Anonymous

• I'm a SAHM and we went from two incomes to one much smaller income than what my husband was making before, and we are honestly doing better. Sometimes we do over spend a little bit, but all of our bills are always paid, and there is food to eat, and there is money in the retirement account. Thats all that matters.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 4:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I agree...I survive on one income. It is hard but its all about your priorities. Everyone wants to go do wahtever they want, whenever...and not have to save or plan for it. When we go shopping sometimes I have to pack a sack lunch..because it is money for a whole other outfit. I have to choose what I want to spend my money on everyday.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:21 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• True but people are depressed and also feel entitled so they waste money. It's no different though, from using a credit card and borrowing from a bank. The bank is just faceless and limitless which makes it easy.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:21 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Some people aren't as financially responcible, sometimes hitting rock bottom is the only way they learn....but frankly, it's none of our business what other families do....I don't sit here worrying about other families, I concentrate on my own!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I agree, when my dh and I decided I was going to stay at home, we cut back seriously.

Cut things most people think they HAVE to have. Like internet, cell phones, cable, eating out. Ect. We were just fine!

Now I am starting to work a little and we can loosen up some, dh got several raises since then too. ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• That statement may be true for some, but I doubt that two people working at minimum wage could live on one person's income and still be able to raise a family without help. The cost of shelter alone is close to 1/3 of a person's monthly wages if they make minimum wage! To be able to provide for transportation, clothing and food, not to mention living expenses would take some extremely creative financial management.

I am a SAHW/M now. When I decided that I wanted to not work outside the home any longer we needed to cut a lot of expenses. We have managed without help for the most part but it has not been easy. We lived with the bare essentials for years,but my kids don't remember that. They remember coming home from school to mom instead of a sitter; they remember camping out in the summer instead of going to camp; they remember that mom was at their school parties instead of having to work. That makes everything worthwhile.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Depends where you life, if the job market supports the economy.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 5:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• We live fine on my husbands income. The last 6 years I worked we put all my income into savings and retirement. I made 6 figures so it gave us a good nest egg. My husband made slightly more than me. So when I found out I was pregnant we were ready for me to quit working. We made no sacrifices. If I had to work I would to save my house and lifestyle. I don't have to thankfully. We live within our means which is common sense. If we don't have the money we don't have it.
    Anonymous

• I don't see how it's any of YOUR business...
    Anonymous