Scared and Not Sure How to Transition him....

My son is 8 months old and we will be moving in the next few weeks.. He has never had his own room he has always been in a pack-n-play in the livingroom at my mothers house were we have been living ever since he was born... I'm worried about how he will do in his own room? I'm not sure how to do the switch?Any advice.. Iwant it to be a smooth as can be.. Right now he doesnt put himself to sleep so I'm hoping to work on that once we get in the house and he has his own room but I want him to be comfortable in the room first and I'm not sure how or what to do in order for that to happen.. Any help would be great thank you

TristansMommy16

Asked by TristansMommy16 at 4:16 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why does he have to be in his own room right away? You can ease the transition by keeping him in your room with you guys until he's adjusted to being in the new house, then transition him to his room. Will he be sleeping in a different bed in the new place? Is there any way he can sleep in that bed in the old place, so he's at least used to that? Try to keep it one transition at a time; that may make things go a little smoother. There's no need to rush anything. Be aware that his sleep will be off the first new nights in the new place, regardless of where he's sleeping. We just went through a move with our 8 month old this past weekend, so we're dealing with him waking up more each night. It will subside, we know. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:45 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Just put him in his room, follow the same routine. The only thing changing is his bed. You might be surprised. People just don't give babies enough credit.

You won't know until you try.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• The rule when moving little ones is to have their new room set up as closely to their old one. If you can bring the pack-n-play with you, he can sleep in it for a few days, with his new bed set up in his room. Start with naps, transitioning him to the new bed.
    Congratulations on your new home!

Answer by rkoloms at 4:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I would just put him in his room and see what happens, he might be just fine. When we travel home my son who usually sleeps in a crib doesn't have any trouble sleeping in a pack n play... so I would think it would be the same the other way around.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2009