Should I get married in this reccession?

My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 2 years now.We want to get married but don't think that we can afford it.We have 4 kids(one together) he works at Wal-Mart and I stay at home with the kids because we can't afford daycare.Should Iwe wait a couple years down the road when our finances might be beter or should we follow our hearts an get married now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• Might as well get married, getting married doesn't cost much.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Well maybe it's like when they say if you wait to have children until you can afford them, you'll never have them, maybe...same goes for marriage....I'd say if your ready emotionally to get married I wouldn't let this economy stop you....just make it not really big and expensive.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 4:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• If you want to get married get married......it's a wedding that costs money, a marriage is just a license and a minister....my mom is an ordained minister and she will marry us this Summer, we are not having a wedding....dimply because we don't feel like it, we'd rather use our money towards a real honeymoon, so that's the only reason why we haven't gotten married yet.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:58 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• You can get married now and plan a reception later or you can have an extremely small wedding and not have a reception. Best of luck. Marriage is totally worth it!
    Mandalynn252

Answer by Mandalynn252 at 7:18 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I agree with get married now and have a ceremony later. Besides, doing your taxes jointly will save you enough to have a ceremony later anyways. :)
    lauchremi

Answer by lauchremi at 8:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• see his credit score and job title
    mamanew4you09

Answer by mamanew4you09 at 9:18 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I'm just curious about your reasoning with this? What does a recession and getting married have to do with each other? If you two want to get married, then plan a wedding that you can afford. Have a reception that you can afford. People will still come and they will still bring gifts. In fact we consider a wedding reception as a "date night". Is it a big deal to you if you have a wedding and reception in the back yard? Because you could have quite the party if you didn't feel the need to splurge on fancy surroundings! Even better, if you have a family member that has a pretty home or back yard, do it at their house. I think that my husband and I spent about $700 total on our wedding, my dress only cost $100 and our biggest expense was a DJ. Unfortunately we realized too late that we could have saved the money and had a friend change CD's, our DJ wasn't very good, lol.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Get married. You don't have to have a big fancy to-do about it. It isn't the wedding day that counts, anyway. It's the marriage that follows.
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 9:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Follow your heart and get married :-) ...finances and the economy will always be changing married or not...
    eminelson

Answer by eminelson at 11:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2009