Help! Is this a yeast infection?

Hi all, I need some help. I've never had a yeast infection before, so I don't know if that's what I'm experiencing. But for the last several weeks, I've had TERRIBLE vaginal itching (I mean, it has actually woken me up at night!) and a little soreness (which I think is from scratching!)...plus some clear discharge.

The only person I've ever been with sexually is my husband, and we've been together 6 years. So I don't think it could be an STD.

We don't have insurance right now so I can't go to the doctor to get checked out. But I have got to do something, because this is driving me crazy!! :-/

Advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Health

• I don't think so, maybe a bacterial Infection, a yeast infection the discarge in white and cottage cheesey
    Anonymous

• Have you changed soap, maybe your alergic
    Anonymous

• It could be, but for your sake, since it is the first time, you should get checked.

Answer by Bmat at 4:51 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I haven't changed soap or any products that I know of in the past few years, except maybe fabric softener. Maybe that's it?

I read that yeast infections don't always have the "cheesy" discharge, that it can range from thick and cheesy to thin and clear. That's why I thought it was still a possibility? I don't know.
    Anonymous

• They have a new test kit that you can purchase at walmart or walgreens to check and see if you have a yeast infection. And if you do have a yeast infection you can by the monistat at the same drug store without prescription
    Mommy2Mariah

Answer by Mommy2Mariah at 4:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Thank you!!
    Anonymous

• Fabric softener can be very BAD! I have been sick for almost a year with interstitial cystitis, trust me you do not want it! We bought a front load washer almost 2 years ago, last weekend we cleaned the mold out of the front seal that could not be seen unless you pulled it back. Most fabric softener is animal based so it accumulates in places and yuck, it's gross. I also had similar problems, chances are it's the fab. softener.

Downy and Dihydrogenated tallow dimethyl ammonium chloride
    A derivative of rendered fat from cattle, sheep, and horses. Just boil it down and mix with ammonium (NH4). After a series of chemical pit stops, out comes a quaternary ammonium compound, or quat—a positive ion in which the hydrogen is replaced by long-chain organic molecules. Quats effectively coat your clothing with lipids... please cont. at link:

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/16-12/st_whatsinside
    Anonymous

• I wanted to add, After running bleach and vinegar through the washer and ALL of our clothing, no more itching, Yay!
    Anonymous

• Honestly I got a yeast infection for the first time a few months ago aswell. I didn't go to the Dr. because I don't have insurance so I spent like $20 on an overnight treatment at Wal-Mart. It worked and I saved about $100+

I didn't get any discharge at all! But I did wake up in the middle of the night like you did. If I were you I'd take a chance, besides it's an overnight treatment so if you don't feel slightly better tomorrow you can always go in as a walk-in. Let us know what happened!
    alismommy2

Answer by alismommy2 at 7:05 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• You can try treating it as a yeast infection. It won't do any harm, even if you don't have an infection. If you still have symptoms after that, then go get seen. It could be BV (not an STD, just a bacterial overgrowth), or something else, but it's worth getting seen. Is there a Planned Parenthood where you are? They'll do this stuff free/low cost.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:36 AM on Apr. 29, 2009