Age Difference

My boys are 6 years apart. My youngest follows my oldest everywhere and gets upset when Zade gets to go somewhere with out him. They used to be together all the time and I knew this day would come but how do i help my 5 year old thru it....and help would be great. Thanks.

originalzademom

Asked by originalzademom at 4:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My kids are 5.5 years apart, and it's simple, I just tell my youngest NO! They adapt, it doesn't mentally scar them. And 5 is old enough to reason with, so be honest
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Maybe join your younge one in a sport team or an activity to where he can meet new people his age to hang around, I was like that with my brother, we are 12 yrs apart
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 4:51 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Don't worry too much, they need to have their own activities suitable for their ages anyway. Even siblings that are close in age don't always want get along together.

Mine are 10 years apart and when the eldest got to about 15 little sister was just an annoyance. But a few years later she started to spend more time with her again.
    jackdaw

Answer by jackdaw at 6:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I would just get the youngest in sports so he can make friends of his own. The youngest is old enough to understand that big bro needs alone time and so does little bro. He needs to learn to respect privacy and not just go in big bros room without knocking or without asking first. Ask big bro to spend some time playing with little bro and make it special.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Just explain to him that his big brother wants to do things with friends his own age and when he gets older he'll have the chance to do the same. He'll just have to accept it. Help him make plans with friends his own age or find activities that he enjoys doing by himself. He'll be running out the door like his older brother before you know it! It goes so fast.
    napoli

Answer by napoli at 10:45 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I would take the time that the older child is away and use it to get some one on one time with the 5year old. My daughters are 5yrs apart. this is what i would do! No matter what the age difference is in our house we try and teach them that they dont always get to go everywhere together.
    Supermamato4

Answer by Supermamato4 at 8:43 AM on May. 2, 2009