• In the Spotlight:

40 weeks?

Would a dr. give you a due date 40 weeks from the day you concieved if you measured farther along than LMP?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No it's 40 weeks from the date of your last menstrual cycle, it's very hard to determine conception date.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• You may measure farther along than your LMP because the baby is bigger than expected. This happened to me. I swore I was at least 3 weeks further along than the doc said but I was wrong. I was just carrying a much bigger baby. So I delivered my son by c-section at 37.5 weeks. The doc said my son would weigh around 6 lbs and my son ended up weighing 8lbs 8ozs. He was wedged into my hips, couldn't turn and was far to big for me to deliver. My cervix was badly scarred due to cervical cancer and he had to be delivered by c-section. Had I waited another 3 weeks to deliver my son would have been over 10lbs.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• It is all a guessing game. I am 35 weeks today and know that my body won't make a baby to big for me to carry or deliver, although, people such as one of my best friends had a baby at 8 lbs. she could have waited but he would have been 10 lbs and to big for her to push really. I do think that doctors have no idea and I always have based mine on ultrasound because it is normally correct.
    Anonymous