Are you Christian?

If so...do you believe in the death penalty? Why or why not.

hannahwill

Asked by hannahwill at 4:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think its really screwy that people would want for us all toaccept others to have the right to sin yet want to kill others for the sins they commit. It is usually the hard core sinners that turn to God by choice. What chance are you giving them if you condemn them and vote to kill?Who are you tomake that choice?

I know it is up to God to choose if they live or die not mine. Who is playing God now?

mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 12:04 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Yes I am a Christian but I'm very lukewarm on this topic.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I guess I am, I believe in God and Christ, but I don't believe in alot of what is taught, and yes I do believe in the death penalty, the only problem I have with it is that it costs more to put a person to death than to keep them in prison, and ALOT of our tax dollars go to innmates healthcare, college, etc..............
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Yes I am....death penalty....?(they would probably "suffer" more sitting in jail for life, but...)~they'll be judged by God.
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 5:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• For those of you that do...can you please explain how this is acceptable along with the fact that in the 10 commandments, it says you should not kill.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 5:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I am actually a Christian naturalist.It combines Christianity with Science of a sort.We are to help as many people as possible but we do not tithe to a church.We are to tithe our time and our resources,financial and otherwise.We are faithful to the earth God gave us and we believe God is in every living thing.We don't have pastors or elders.We believe that we HAVE to do our part for mankind without someone watching over us to make sure we do it.We do it because we want to be in God's good will not because we want our friends to see us doing it.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 5:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Ack,I do believe in the death penalty because I do.
    laranadtony

• Well for me, like I said, I dont' believe a lot of the teachings, I probably wouldn't be for the death penalty if VIOLENT criminals, Murders, Child Molesters etc...actually payed their "dues' in prison, but they have better benefits than alot of people I know who are doing their best to live an honest life. If you wanna call me a hippocrite, thats fine, i'm human and not supposed to be "GOD" like. :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:05 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Yes I am and no I don't.

From a biblical standpoint, God said "vengeance is mine", and even Jesus saved a woman from the death penalty himself. Not to mention the fact that the sixth commandment tells us not to kill - IMO, killing someone for killing someone else is still killing someone.

I think some people may argue the whole "eye for an eye" logic, but I don't really think it applies to something that goes against the ten commandments. For example, you wouldn't commit adultery on your spouse who committed adultery. Or you wouldn't steal from someone who stole from you. See my point?

One of my best friends in high school was murdered one night as he was closing the video store he worked for. His murderer was put to death two years ago. I cried. Why? Because I felt that his death was not vindicated through the death of another. I would have much preferred his killer find Christ than be put to death.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 5:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• No, on both counts.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 5:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2009