Has anyone gotten Disability benefits for having Epilepsy?

I am epileptic and have considered applying for SS disability benefits. I was wondering if there are any other mothers that have epilepsy and have filed for disability benefits? Did you qualify or not? Thanks for all the help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Health

• If you are permanently disabled from Epilepsy, meaning it's not controlled with meds at all, then yes you can get disability
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Im suprised you are not on it now. good luck.
    leeleesboys

Answer by leeleesboys at 5:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My son is and I applied for SS. His epilepsy has really held him back in every day functions and has helped cause him to fall behind in school. Even with his speech and language disabililty, which might I ad is sooo severe they have him as SLD now in all subjects in school and will now be held back this year.....they denied him benefits. I didn't want it for the money as in to have a "free ride". I wanted it to help cover the non stop medical cost that come wtih testing and treatment. Last year alone we spent $5000 paying towards bills and medications. I was completely appauled when we were denied, but a little boy we know has benefits for being ADHD? Mabye you'll have better luck then I. I say try it. They'll deny you the first time, appeal it when they give you the option. Good luck!
    ranze11617

Answer by ranze11617 at 11:58 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• When my son was on SSI for seizures, I think that you have to prove it is disabling, unless it was the type he has, (West Syndrome), which is a listed disability... Good luck!
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 8:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2009