HOW DO I FIND A TRUST WORTHLY BABYSITTER FOR MY BABY WHEN I DONT KNOW ANYBODY.WHERE DO I START

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• put an ad in the paper and do interviews....i believe (not sure) you can go to your child protective service place to find out if they have a sketchy background (don't quote me on that one)
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 5:12 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Check out the yellow pages and see if you can find a local child care registry. These services are a good especially when you do not know anyone.
    CocoaB

Answer by CocoaB at 5:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• OH!! I almost forgot another way................The 4 and 5 Star Hotels have well know child care registrys on file. Ask for the concierge desk.
    CocoaB

Answer by CocoaB at 5:18 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I used to work as a full time nanny on www.sittercity.com. I then moved into my own business sadly to say I am 35 weeks along now...and can't wait for her of course...but because of this lost my clients. I would check on there or find a nanny that will work for you. You do have to claim them on taxes but it is always the same person every time. Also try www.care.com you will find plenty of things from house pet and child sitters to someone to just come and water your lawn :D
    Anonymous

• your state will have a list of ppl w/ childcare licences,not to say everyone is trustworthy. local highschool could prob give you info on anyone in parenting class intersted. check local red cross, they have babysitting classes for teens w/list of reg. ppl. I have trusted local teens, after getting that info, meeting their parents. Going to a service,internet or newspaper are all just a gamble. with that being said, Ive been a nanny for 6 yrs via the internet. I am trustworthy and have kids of my own, But Ive babysat for people that tell me of there horror stories of previous sitters. you need to get refrences, sadly people can lie, you need to perform a background check and trust your gut. For my own kids & any family Ive applied for, I insist on having play dates, that they are home, while Im there to get myself and the children comfy with the situation. you can just peek in and see how its going, it reveals alot- good luck
    Anonymous

• Try posting an ad at your local college - especially if it's one with a child education dep't. I did this and found a great sitter about 1 1/2 years ago, who is a 3rd year elementary education student with tons of experience. My boys love him! And he doesn't charge the earth like some of those nanny services do (I've used them too, and the ladies are great and qualified, but the one here is expensive and has a 3 hour minimum). I was having no luck until I posted at the college - they had an online job board, even. I got probably 2 dozen emails right after I posted it, and from some really qualified people!
    jmcgladr

Answer by jmcgladr at 4:19 AM on Apr. 29, 2009