Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Changing your child's name?

After being absent from my son's life for 5 years, my ex finally decided he wanted to sign an affidavit of parentage. He is now under the impression that he will change my son's last name, as he currently has my last name. Can he do this without my consent? I don't want it changed. For the love of god that is the kid's name! Why confuse him!


Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • It requires both parent's consent. My friend had the opposite problem. She was getting married to the man who had always been in her child's daddy and she had to get the biological father's permission to change the child's name.

    Answer by kabbot01 at 3:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

  • No he shouldnt.. an no i really dont think he can.. you have to sign if the child is under age..

    Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 5:18 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

  • Any child under the age of 18 needs parental consent of both parents. The same goes for anything legal really unless you have a signed document that would further inhibit you from being able to say no or yes....such as full custody and partial legal custody(my parents had this for me) Whomever had legal custody made the decision which is why it was partial on both sides for consent ...don't worry if you have that consent your son will not have to go through this and I would go to the court/state website and find out for sure for your area...good luck and I hope that he doesn't try it :D

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

  • No, he cannot. Just because he wants yur child to have his name, doesn't mean he can. YOU have to give your consent. If your ex wants to have the name changed, he will have to pay for it and it can be upwards of $500.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2009