12 Month Old Feeding Disorder

He refused using his bouncing chair. It got to the point that we were forced to drive him around in our car in order for him to get tired enough to feed. We discovered (and this is an extremely important point) that it was the motion of the car that tires him, so we bought a cradle-type swing that has worked in getting him totally asleep since this is the only fashion he will take any formula. The real danger we now face is that he will soon outgrow the swing and the reality of his starving is imminent. He is currently 50 percentile in his weight, height, and cranial measurements, but again we have to face everyone telling us how healthy and normal he appears. But not one person understands the incredible sacrifice it has taken me as his mother to pay such a tremendous emotional and physical cost to keep him from drugs and a feeding tube. From what I have read in the forums, there may be very few if any mothers with the

americo

Asked by americo at 5:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I feel as though if he has trouble eating you should talk to a pediatrician. They can give you great tips on how to handle the situation. Stress that you have done all you can up to the point he is growing out of his swing and would love to know of any ways he/she would possibly know to keep him from going down the feeding tube path. I have had infants in my family do the same and they eventually got on a feeding, sleeping, napping routine that fixed the problem.
    Anonymous

• Do you know what the problem is or talked to the doctor? Is he just stubborn? Will he eat table foods or baby foods or is all he getting formula? Have you tried milk? Maybe he doesn't like the taste? I'm not sure what the problem is or why he has to be a sleep and why he can't get to sleep any other way than a car or a swing. I'm sorry, I just don't have enough info go work with.
    Anonymous

• Sorry, one more thought:

I'd be conern that you have spoiled him by letting him eat in his sleep and he won't know how to eat anymore. It might take a long time to train him to eat again.
    Anonymous

• Thank you for your reply.

His pediatrician has not been of ANY help.

Unfortunately, this web page did not allow me to post a complete question.
    americo

Answer by americo at 6:15 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I have a 10month old ds who I have a very similar problem with. The only way he will finish his bottles is basically when he is half asleep. my husband and I literally have to forcehim to drink his bottles. it has been like this since he was 4 months. He is in the 25th percentile. My only saving grace was alady at daycare. He will eat for her most times but when it comes tonights and weekeds we can barely get anything down him. I have been often worried about dehydration or him not gaining weight but to date this hasnt happened and it has been SUCH a struggle. SO I have an idea where you are coming from. He will not feed himself or take any kind of food except for stage 2 baby food. I fear for when he turns 1! Will your baby eat baby food at all? My ped has been no help either.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 6:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2009