How many of you are considering pulling your kids out of school because of this Swine virus?

harrypottermom

Asked by harrypottermom at 5:20 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Um, WHY??? I dont' pull them out for colds or other flu's, or strep or anytthing else, if the school needs to close because of an out break, then yea, but i'm not taking my kids out of school because of a possible outbreak
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• So if you're kid is sick you send them to school to infect everyone else??
    harrypottermom

Answer by harrypottermom at 5:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Turn off the TV, wash your hands and go about your business. I do not understand why Fox news is whipping the righties up into a frenzy.People seem to have lost their minds.
    People are all freaked out about swine flu, but why about cancer? Why do people continue to smoke when they have a 1 in 4 chance of dying from cancer?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• When kids have a virus or bacterial infection, then their resistence is lowered and there is a greater risk of picking up a secondary infection; this is why kids with fevers need to be kept home.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:27 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Fox news is not the only one even CNN and our local news here is reporting it like crazy! I'm just interested in seeing how many parents are considering this. Cancer is not airborne some cancer is caused because of our actions, and this is spreading fast and hard, I think that's why people are in a frenzy.
    harrypottermom

Answer by harrypottermom at 6:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• If the school has any reason so suspect that Swine Flu could threaten it, they will close for fear of lawsuits. Remind your kids to wash their hands a lot and don't worry, news stations report anything that will get attention. Don't live in fear :)
    CLRief

Answer by CLRief at 8:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Why would I take my child out of school when he isn't sick? When there are NO outbreaks in my area? As for the PP that said she doesn't even keep her kid out for strep, thanks!! YOU are the reason my son gets strep and misses a week of school because when he gets strep he gets really sick. PLEASE IF YOUR CHILD IS CONTAGIOUS THEN KEEP THEM HOME!!! I am sick of my kid getting sick because of parents that don't keep their kids home when they should. A common cold is one thing but strep is another. I AM NOT KEEPING MY CHILD OUT OF SCHOOL FOR SOMETHING THAT ISN'T A THREAT AT THIS TIME. HIS SCHOOL WILL CLOSE IF THERE IS A THREAT.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Not yet, but it scares the crap out of me, let me tell you! There haven't been any cases in PA yet (that I know of), but we live so close to NYC and have tons of commuters that go there every day, so I know it's just a matter of time.
    jackiesmom72

Answer by jackiesmom72 at 9:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• nope we are going to school
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Very close to considering it. I am between Sac and Marin County where there are confirmed cases. It's very upsetting. I really don't want her to go to school tomorrow, but if I keep her out of school for no reason, I am sure I'll be charged a truancy or some other legal actions. But, I bought masks and hand sanitizer today, and it took me 3 stores to find those items because people are definitely stocking up.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 11:12 PM on Apr. 28, 2009