How to begin potty training a developmentally-delayed 3 year old?

I have an adorable, heartbreakingly-sweet toddler boy, whom is also speech delayed and overly fond of diapers. He is my first, and I am terrified (for some odd reason) of starting the potty-training process. Any experienced moms out there that can give me a game plan? And is naked potty-training as awesome as it's made out to be, progress-wise? When I discuss the 'pee-pee' and 'poo-poo' terms, I just get blank looks. Help!

Charlies_mom

Asked by Charlies_mom at 5:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have a 6 year old with autism. To me with his autism it is a constant training to keep him using that bathroom. Its real easy to keep those cozey dependable diapers on for sure. I let my son run naked cause I had no idea like you what to do. He started to pee on the carpet and I would pick him up in midstream and stand him infront of the toilet. It was a total mess but in the end it worked lol. The poo part is still over my head. I keep a diaper on when my son seems to act like he is going to go poo. He will not sit at all on that darn toilet. Good luck mama. Hope you get some good advice.
    leeleesboys

Answer by leeleesboys at 5:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My son has a speech delay and is "classified" developmentally delayed. We talked to him about it and let him watch us. We switched him to pull-ups and made him go every hour to every two hours. Then we put big boy underwear on and he's been going good. He doesn't understand that he can come out of his room to go potty without asking, he stands by his door yelling "i gotta pee in the potty mommy!!" I'll let him say it a few times to see if he gets the hint to just walk across the hall, then I'll say "okay go potty" and he'll go. He likes going by himself. Right now we are having trouble staying dry at night, but I am sure thats a struggle for every 3.5 year old potty trainer!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 5:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2009