Am I depressed?

I need help to determine whether I am depressed or just overwhelmed..
I don't want to be around family or friends. I don't return their phone calls. I just want to be left alone. The first 3 weeks I bought my son home we was totally overwhelmed with company. My husband and I was only alone with our son 2 days. My husband and I are fussing more because his family wants to stay at our house 24/7. I only cry when people won't just give me a break. I can't adjust having my first son with people in and out of my house all the time. Am I depressed or just overwhelmed??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you are just overwhelmed. if you were depressed, you wouldn't care if the house was full of people- you wouldn't care about anything (it's like being outside yourself looking in, you just don't react to outside stimuli). In your case, you have too much external stimuli and you are shutting down (I call it "overdosing on people" and i get it occasionally, but I'm a Type II bipolar).
    thank everyone for coming to see the baby, then kick them out. You need time with just you and baby and DH, especially since this is your first. you only have one first baby.
    If you have to tell people they can only come over on certain days (like tuesday and friday) between certain times. the baby isn't going anywhere :-)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 5:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I think it's probably a little of both but I agree with plylerjones. Thank everyone but tell them you want some "family" time. Hang a sign on your door saying that the baby is sleeping, please do not knock and then do NOT answer the door. Take the phone off the hook. Spend some time with just your little family and see if it gets better. If you are still concerned at that point, contact your doctor. Remember that PPD can start anytime in the first 2 years and treatment can take years.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• your deffenatly overwhelmed, When I had my baby blues I didn't wanna be left alone....
    And with you it sounds like you need a break! And enjoy those precious first month...
    Good luck!
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 6:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2009