Is this the best way to go about this?

we are pregnant with #2. Our first born is a boy who will be 2 years old when our next one is due. I'm thinking about getting him a baby doll so he can learn about babies that way before hand.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's also a good idea to baby sit a little one, or have a friend with a little one over for an hour or two. My kids are 5, 4 and 19 mo's, so we have dealt with the same situation. The youngest always has a harder time with not being the center of attention (which is normal). It's good for them to see you with a baby before hand so they can get used to the idea of someone else sitting in your lap, making them wait until you can put the baby down before picking them up & feeding the baby(of course I don't recommend nursing someone elses baby if you plan to nurse!)

It's also good to comfort your child after you have set the baby down to reassure him that he is still important to you, so he doesn't feel left out.

Hope that helps!
    Melody
    Addicted2photos

Answer by Addicted2photos at 7:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I think it is a good idea.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 5:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• i think its a great idea, just because he's a boy doesn't mean he can't benefit from it. just get boy doll if that makes you and your SO feel better about it. thats what we are doing with my daughter, and now when she sees a baby, she tells whoever is holding it how careful they have to be and hold the head etc...and our baby is still a month away so it has really helped her learn about babies and how you have to be careful etc with them...we'll see how she reacts though the first time lil man won't stop crying
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:32 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I thinks it is a good idea also.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 5:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Check with the hospital where you are planning to deliver; they should have a sibling class.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My 2 boys were spaced about that far apart. I bought the oldest a boy cabbage patch doll when I was PG, but he really didn't pay too much attention to it at that age. He likes dolls better now, but they're still not his thing. No matter, though, after an initial adjustment, he LOVED his little brother! Melody's suggestions are great. I tried to have my Dad and husband pay special attention to my older boy right after the baby was born. And of course I continued to give him lots of love and affection and let him know how important he was to me, even though there was someone new to love in the family. A nice thing about having kids that close is the older one really haven't had too much time to establish their place as an only child, so the adjustment can be much easier than with an older sibling. I found it to be a(relatively) easy transition. Good luck!
    jmcgladr

Answer by jmcgladr at 4:29 AM on Apr. 29, 2009