I'm really tired of my 2.5 year old sticking his tongue out at me every time I tell him to do something or warn him something's not safe. Any suggestions to break him of this habit?

Aside from cutting it off with scissors (j/k!!!!!!!!!!!!)

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 5:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ok alot of people are gonna bash me but whatever it worked for me, i would lightly tap my daughters mouth when she did this to me. not a slap but enough so she realized that she wasn't supposed to. this was after trying time outs, no tv, no junk food snacks, taking a fave toy and all the other punishments i could think of that were appropriate for her age. now shes 3.5 and her new thing is shaking her finger at me...i'm gonna rip it off one of these days hehe
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• It's really irritating. He'll stick his tongue out at me, and then 2 seconds later get hurt on whatever it was I told him to stop. He's getting on my nerves LOL. I know for a fact he was a perfect little angel at daycare too!!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:35 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I actually agree with vabchmommy...We tried all those things first too and then resorted to a light smack or a light spank to get our sons attention.
    Anonymous

• that was when my daughter was in daycare too, she no longer is, but i read somewhere b/c it drove me nuts so i went looking, that children misbehave more with parents/primary caregiver b/c they know you still love them no matter what they do (god help us when they get older) which is why they are good all day at daycare then get home and turn into demons (or good in public and then devil spawns at home mine does that) just figure out the worst punishment for him and his personality and go from there, for my daughter it was the light tapping of her mouth when she did it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• It is only fun for the child when they are getting a good reaction out of you. Stop reacting, completely ignore it when he does it, then she will stop. Just keep in mind that he will probably do it more at first, trying to get the reaction.
    You never need to hit (tap, smack, spank) a child to teach them to behave, there is always another way.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Once again, like I posted elsewhere tonight, I agree 100% with maggiemom2000!
    You never need to hit a child. "Tapping" is still hitting.

It really does sound like he's doing it for your attention. As hard as it is to ignore behavior that bother us, as long as he's not doing anything dangerous or anything to hurt anyone else you should ignore it.
    savvybabygrace

Answer by savvybabygrace at 8:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• You could try talking about respect and how sticking her tongue out means that she is trying to make you sad, and ask her, are you trying to make me sad? I really believe that kids want to not hurt their parents. If that doesn't work, put a magnet up near the top of the fridge, and teoll her that if she sticks her tongue out at you that you will take the magnet down and that means that she looses and privelege (tv, dessert, early bedtime, etc.) Throughtout the day while it is up point it out and tell her how excited you are to share a popsicle with her, watch a dvd, etc. When she sticks out her tongue and you have to take it down for the say tell her how sad it makes you that you will not get to share that privelege with her, that way she makes the connection between sticking her tongue out and you being sad.
    CLRief

Answer by CLRief at 8:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2009