non stress test

friday i will be 40 weeks and 6 days.. they are sending me to get a non stress test.. so my question is what is this and how long do they take?

1sttymmom409

Asked by 1sttymmom409 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Non stress test is when they put a belts around your belly and hook it to a machine that tracks your babies heartbeat and movements and contractions if your having any. The length can vary.
    amj616

Answer by amj616 at 5:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• they hook you up to a fetal monitor that monitors heart rate and movement you get a little button every time you feel movement you hit the button. they then read over the printout and determine if the baby is under stress when he/she moves (if the heart rate is drastically diff). with my daughter they lasted about 30-45 mins, it really depends ( i believe) on how quickly he/she moves around that way they can get a good idea of how it is each time baby moves.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2009