What age/weight to children usually graduate from car seat to booster?

not looking for a debate, just wondering what the typical age is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• 40 pounds for sure! I just found that out too!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 5:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Yeah, it's like 40 lbs. I think my daughter was 4? I can't remember. But she's really skinny too.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I think the minimum is 4 and 40, but I believe that many people switch too early. Personally, my kids will be in a harness until they are at least 65 lbs.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• It's not so much the weight or the age as the responsiblity of the child.
    If a child can (and will) wiggle out of a seat belt to reach a dropped toy or cup, then the child belongs in a seat, regardless of age or weight. Also, younger kid are more likely to put the shoulder belt behind them simply because they can and it irritates their skin when it is in it's proper place. A shouler belt can't do it's job when behind the child.
    And height is more important than weight or age too. A child who is short but heavy risks being decapitated in an accident. This can and has happened when a too short child is relying on the car's shoulder belt.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I kept my kids in the 5pt harness until they were 6yrs old. It is just so much more secure. I needed to buy a car seat that used the harness for over 40 pounds, but I thought it was worth it!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Depends on the booster seat. Mine was 28 lbs with the harness and 40 lbs with the seatbelt.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Michigan Law is either 4foot 9inches tall or age 8 to be out of the booster seat.
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2009