How do I get my son to let me brush his teeth?

My son is 19 months and will be 20 months on the 4th of September. I want to start to brush his teeth. He hasn't been to a dentist yet...I am thinking about trying to find one to take him to. Alot of times when I am just trying to look in his mouth he won't let me. So how did you other moms get your kids to let you start to brush their teeth? Also when did you start...as in what age? Thanks :0)

LuvCutiepie1902

Asked by LuvCutiepie1902 at 6:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your the mom, take charge of him, and make a game of it, I do with my almost 19 month old.
    Anonymous

• As soon as our son got four teeth, we got him a child size toothbrush and some training toothpaste. (My son like Little Bear brand...you can find it at Walmart.) We put a dab on the brush and let him suck it off. As time progressed, we moved the brush around his mouth a bit. Now he is two and likes to brush himself. He doesn't do a great job, and we have to help get the back teeth, but he is okay with it.
    Remember, don't give a child adult toothpaste. Fluoride is a poison and children will swallow!
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• You are supposed to start when they are infants - before the first tooth even arrives. At the latest, you should have started with the first tooth.

Remember that this is a health issue. You do NOT want to stand there, watching the dentist put your child to sleep, watching that little body go limp, just to pull out rotten teeth or do a root canal.

What to do? Get some flouride free training toothpaste - it tastes good so kids are more willing to let you in. Do not use flouride paste until he is old enough to not swallow and knows how to spit - usually aroung 3.5 years. Make sure the toothbrush is not too big. Lay him down in a room with good light. If possible, get someone to help you hold him down. If needed, pinch his nose closed(gently!) so he must open his mouth to breathe. Yes, it sounds mean. So does "being kind" and letting him have a root canal. Once he knows you mean business, he'll cooperate.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I started brushing my daughters teeth.. well gums.. when she was about 4 months old.. its soothing when they are teething.. she loves to have her teeth brushed, always has. She's now 14 months old and I brush hers twice a day.
    dueinfeb2008

Answer by dueinfeb2008 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I agree with the mom that said make it a game. My kids always brushed out their sugar bugs, but then I would have to do a check to see if they were all gone.
    warrenfamily95

Answer by warrenfamily95 at 7:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2009