when should i start baby food ? ? and what should we start with

wic said they start'em like 5 months i havent call the dr. yet to ask him though , i was just wondering

Asked by kensue305 at 6:17 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We started our son on the rice cereal at around three months. And I think we started adding the green beans and stuff at around six months...but I can't really remember...

Answer by ajguinn at 6:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• out of the bottle or a bowl and spoon

Answer by kensue305 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Sometime between 4 and 6 months was the old "norm". Now doctors are leaning more towards 6 months. Don't listen to WIC. Listen to your doctor and then balance what he (she) says with what your instincts are telling you. If your little one stares at each bite you take and pretends to chew with you - he's ready for food. But even if he doesn't do that, he may be ready for food.

What to start with? Most start with the single grain cereals - oatmeal, rice, barley. Then move to the veggies so the baby gets used to different, strong tastes before he finds the sweets of the fruits. Many moms (including me) skip the meats. They smell like cat food and I wasn't about to try them. If I won't eat it, I'm not feeding it to my child.

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I say no sooner then six months. And, it won't hurt to wait past six months. Start with some pureed/mushed fruits or veggies.

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• how about a juicy t-bone steak with garlic mashed potatoes and a side salad?

Answer by mamajody0507 at 6:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Listen to the health experts and the research, not what other moms did. Virtually all health organizations say nothing but breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months.
    Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

Based on recent research, the AAP and other health organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (NOT the first 4-6 months).

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I strted my DD jsut before 6 months with some mashed avocado and she loved's very bland and she's 8 months and likes that, zucchini, bananas, carrots, peas, squash, lentil loaf, veggie sausage (we're raising her vegetarian) and lots of other good stuff...I make everything. You should never put cereal in a bottle....if you have to give it to her give it on a spoon, but they really don't need cereal.

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I agree 100% with maggiemom - all of the most current and correct info will tell you that infant's digestive systems are NOT ready for ANY solids until at least 6 months. AT LEAST. It's completely normal and right to wait longer than that. An infant does not "need" anything but breastmilk for the first year of life. (I'm not sure about formula, none of my children got a drop of it).

Answer by savvybabygrace at 8:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My son was eating rice cereal from a spoon not long after he was 2 1/2 months, we did the in the bottle thing for a few weeks prior. we added fruit to it around 3 months....and he's been eating yellow/orange veggies off and on for awhile now (he's 5 1/2 months old)....

they say to start with fruits...then yellow/orange veggies, and then go to the greens. that's what I've always heard anyway.

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 8:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• to maggiemom

this is copied and pasted from the AAP website, before you start "quoting" things make sure you actually have the correct info

"Most babies are ready to eat solid foods at 4 to 6 months of age. Before this age instead of swallowing the food, they push their tongues against the spoon or the food. This tongue-pushing reflex is necessary when they are breastfeeding or drinking from a bottle. Most babies stop doing this at about 4 months of age. Energy needs of babies begin to increase around this age as well, making this a good time to introduce solids."

personally i think its when YOU the MOM feels your baby is ready. if they push the food out then you know its not time

Answer by softbalchic2004 at 11:16 PM on Apr. 28, 2009