How many calories should a 1 year old be eating?

My 14 month old daughter doesn't really eat all that much at her meals, and sometimes won't eat any snacks all day long. She eats when she is hungry, and she makes sure to tell us when she is!

I just want to make sure she is getting the nutrition that she needs.. so how many calories should she be eating in a day, and what can I do to try and get her to eat more?

dueinfeb2008

Asked by dueinfeb2008 at 6:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let her eat when she is hungry to avoid her being over weight. Don't force her to eat just make sure she is eating the basic food groups and close to the amount they recommend. She will pick up on the eating at her next growth spurt and in the mean time let her tell you so she doesn't over eat.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 6:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I read that a toddler that age should get about 1000 to 1200 a day my son is a pickey eater
    MoMMyto2971

Answer by MoMMyto2971 at 7:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Great way to start her down the path of unhealthy eating and eating disorders.

Feed her when she shows signs that she's hungry and don't force her to eat a specified amount of calories. And why are you counting calories for a toddler??
    Anonymous

• Yah, don't worry about the calories. As long as she looks healthy and you are feeding her well balanced meals then she is good. Let her continue to let you know when she is hungry and occasionally offer her a bite or a piece of fruit.
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 1:58 AM on Apr. 29, 2009