How many times do I have to tell him to stop running? How many more times will he trip and fall?

He's 2.5. Ugh.

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 6:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've found that the natural state of motion for my toddler is running. If she can go fast, she will. No amount of "walk", "slow down", or "be careful" helps.

Since I have lots of hard floors inside, I never let her run around in socks. She is either barefoot or in shoes to make it harder to slip. That's the only precaution I've found that's helped. So far, we've had numerous falls, bumps, bruises, and two black eyes.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Let him run and he will probably get better and stop falling. Kids need to run!
    Anonymous

• the correct answer is a zillion times to both. : ) Don't worry most kids overcome the clumsy stage.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 6:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• FOREVER! LOL! My son STILL runs around and falls and gets hurt. No matter what you do he will keep doing it!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Just make sure you have a clear path for him Mom. My granddaughter was learning how to walk at Christmas time. I had this stupid bamboo rug on the floor that wouldn't stay flat for anything. She tripped over it, my kids tripped over it, my husband and I tripped over it. Finally, I got a new rug. I asked my daughter if she wanted it. She said, You mean the damn rug that everyone trips over? No way. Yeah, it's in the garage.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• just try not to look, it makes it a little easier. my kitchen has a wall with openings on both sides, so she can go in a circle...she runs through it all day long (unless i'm cooking i yelled at her once when i burned myself on the oven b/c i had been talking when it happened and it turned into a yell so shes terrified of me cooking oh well whatever works right?) anyways, she runs into corners, gets bumps on her head, slides on the floor, hits the table..i've given up as long as she doesn't put herself in a coma she's fine. and she just gets up and does it again so whats the point in wasting my breath...pick the battles type thing
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• i would say give him at least a million more times lol my 4 yr old still does it i laugh sometimes unless she gets damaged...............ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh guess wat just happend ewwww my 8 mnth old just got my toe opps she snuck up on me oh boy
    ashleystoner86

Answer by ashleystoner86 at 6:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Haha, thanks ladies! I guess the reason why I'm worried is we have a lot of very slippery tile floors...especially in the kids bathroom and down the hallway and last January (2008) I tripped and fell right in front of my 6 year old daughter. I hit my tailbone very bad. I don't think I fractured it, but I had just started another semester and could barely sit through class because my bum bum hurt bad LOL! I know it's sooooo slippery, especially if the floor is wet or even if the bottom of your shoes are wet, and they are both running :( I don't want them to ever get hurt how I did!

Anyway, my son was running to the bathroom and fell down today. He just got up and went about his business. Sheesh.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:58 PM on Apr. 28, 2009