What should I be doing with my 2.5 yr old?

at 2.5 what are some fun games? what should she be learning? what should I be doing to encourage her to learn?! Im NOT a creative person so im having a really hard time keeping it FUN.
She knows how to sing her ABC, can count to 10 & almost to 20 (skips a few #s: 12, 13,14. teen, teen, 20). She hasnt learned to point out #s or letters though. She knows circle, triangle, heart, star. if I ask her "Where on the page is blue" she can find it, but if I ask her "what color is *this*" pointing, she guesses.
Im just afraid of trying to teach something thats not appropriate for her age, something the brain isnt ready to obtain. Or not teaching something & having a gap in her learning or skills...
Whew... Thanks for reading :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try www.LetterOfTheWeek.com. The lessons are very simple and easy to do. For example, for the letter A, you talk about A things (apples, ants, Johnny Appleseed, etc), read books about those things, sing songs about them (The Ants Go Marching), eat snacks that are A things, even planting an appleseed. It takes just 10 to 15 minutes a day and can even be a natural part of storytime, shopping, playing. She has lesson plans for introducing the alphabet (the toddler section) and, once the child knows her letters, learning the letter sounds (the Letter of the Week section). I've found it very helpful.

"Let's sit down and have a lesson" is not how preschoolers learn best so don't try to do that. Save flashcards and workbooks for when she is actually in school and must be forced to learn something boring, quickly.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• When my sister was that age, she absolutely loved it when I would "dot" out the alphabet and she would trace them. That's a fun way for them to learn to recognize the letters. Say them as you go though and let her watch you make the dot-to-dot, so she can learn where to start and end.
    Anonymous

• Even if something is way above her learning level, the ineraction she gets with you is what counts. It sounds like you're doing all the right stuff if she knows her ABC's and counting. Try reading to her as much as you can. Other than that, the best thing to do with a two year old is PLAY! :)
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 7:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• just keep doing what you are doing. sounds like she knows alot of what is normal for her age group. work on animals, boy girl (not specifics just point to a pic and say is this a boy or girl make sure its obvious; skirt, long hair that kind of thing), mainly right now you can have her point stuff out in books by asking her what is what or pointing to a dog and asking her what it is. then ask the noise it makes, then its color etc....when you are driving ask her the color of a car next to you at a stop light, just little things like that. start showing her the letters in a stop sign when you take a walk, thats an "s" and so forth. and she will start to recognize them easily. and don't worry you'll teach her too much! at that age they are just sponges and will learn anything
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• we sing has some games to musc, do a nature walk, look at bugs through a magnifying glass, build a tent, play dress up, build with blocks etc, make cookies or something like that (lemonade?), make playdough, read (my son loves the eye spy books or wher's waldo), there are lots of things, but I think its good to follow theur lead, most kids are very creative and imaginative.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• You can go to starfall.com, pbskids.org, nickolodeon.com(not sure bout spelling, sorry). You're doing an amazing job!!! Keep up the awesome work! She's ready for pre-k!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 7:18 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Just keep doing what you're doing. She's only 2.5 so she's not ready to "sit and learn" but by talking to her, showing her shapes, colors, letters, numbers, asking her questions about them you're preparing her for school. Don't forget to read to her every day!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• thanks ladies.. lots of good advice.. im always afraid of not doing something right! I haven been around a lot of kids so im always worried im not doing enough or may do too much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Apr. 30, 2009