Armed Services for husband?

We aren't struggling now, but in couple of months we will be hurting. DH lost his job in Feb. and still hasn't found a job. He has a Bachelors in Business Administration and specializes in Information Systems. He's been out of school for about 2 years. Someone mentioned that he could join the armed services.

I don't know how we feel about it and I was wondering if there are any wives out there who could give me some presecptive or advice. We talked about Navy or Airforce. Please be nice!

Mandalynn252

Asked by Mandalynn252 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• my hubby is in the airforce. if you want to send me a message with questions i will try me best to answer them
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:18 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• you can message me for any info you want on navy and i will try to answer what i can. my husband has been navy for 9 years we've been together 8 of them
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My husband is in the Army. You get good benefits, housing and great insurance. The hours suck and the pay isn't great so its not a job to get rich off of. You will spend a ton of time alone but you get used to it and of course you have the risk of a deployment. Luckily if he does Air Force or Navy he won't be on long tours as the Army is the longest tours around. He can't get laid off and will always have a check and its a job you must enjoy or it will make you crazy.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Being a military wife can be very HARD!!! Your far from home. You move alot so its hard to make a keep friends, and then of course they deploy. THE HEALTH CARE SUCKS!!!!! Sure its 100% but its TRI care and they are ridiclous!!!! Plus Military hospitals suck. BUT I have lived and been to alot of cool places, and the friends I have made are wonderful and there is no feeling in the world like the one you have when you see your husband for the first time in 7months. You either love it or hate it. If your husband has a degree he can be commissoned as a officer, which means alot more respect and money!!! Does he know what he would want to do in the military??? Plus you get a housing allowance, tax free shopping, AMAZING car insurance and you can't get layed off!!!
    Good luck. I really could help you with which branch I'm a USMC wife so I'm kinda partial...LOL
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 7:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• well with a degree he could be an officer.. so that being the case and if he is wanting to do it I would go for it, its a job and if you guys have a great relationship now you can get true it... and who knows maybe like it.
    Not sure i have heard of he amazing car insurance. BUT however a small break on taxes when shopping at the nex goes a long way, and i am not sure that the i feel like the life is that different, when it comes to social i mean there are stupid people all places even then military,

so overall i think as long as its something he wants to do then yeah i would go for it..
    Anonymous

• Thanks everyone for your insight and interest. He would be interested in Intelligence. Would he be more likely to be Stateside if he were to get into Intelligence. Any wives of Intelligence op? Thanks to everyone again.
    Mandalynn252

Answer by Mandalynn252 at 12:50 PM on May. 3, 2009