What is your opinion on leaving kids/babies in the car?

I know there is a big controversy on whether or not it is responsible to leave children in the car. It's a big "DUH!" not to leave them in the car while you shop or something like that but what are your opinions about going inside a gas station to pay for gas or dropping off a movie at blockbuster?

This is an opinion question not me asking if it's ok if I do it so no bashing!

alinker

Asked by alinker at 7:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If you are within ear and eye sight of your child it is fine. Now if your in wal-mart or the grocery store then no. Running in to pay for gas or drop off a movie is one thing as you can always move the car so you can see your child. Now to leave them so you can shop in peace is wrong.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I pay at the pump, and I haven't been to a gas station in years that you can't so there's no excuse there... And as for the movie store, I have a 12, almost 13 yr old that can put the movies in the drop box, and I can stay in the car with our other 2... It just takes a little common sense. When they were younger I just took them in with me, no big deal, just a little more work, and aren't they worth it?? People shouldn't have children if they aren't going to be responsible for them...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 7:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• WOw 4x4mum your the worlds greatest. Im sorry if my child is asleep or its pouring down rain I am not getting her out. And they do have pumps that are not prepay still. My child is worth it and I am responsible but I will pull up to drop off a movie. If your so great why didn't you get them out of the car to pump gas if they can't be in the car alone? What is the difference if your paying for it out standing outside pumping it either way they are left alone while your OUTSIDE THE CAR. Even to drop off a movie you can pull up and your the same distance as you are at a gas pump.
    Anonymous

• Do your gas pumps not have a place where you can swipe your credit card? That is what I do so no reason to go into the gas station at all. Almost all banks now have a check card that you can get with your account so there really is no need to go inside a gas station.

Anyway I never leave my kids in the car anytime, not even to return a movie or go inside a gas station. Thieves are theives for a living and they are always looking for an easy score, to them a running car at a gas station or video store is a short day at the office. Remember it only takes seconds to steal a car, and they do not care if your kids are in it they will just dump them out down the road.
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 7:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Anon I'm just glad I don't live by your standards...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 7:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• No no no no no no no no no no no...........
    CLRief

Answer by CLRief at 7:56 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Yea if it is raining I just go home and pay a late fee. If the pump has no way for me to pay at the pump I either go to another gas station or I take all of my kids out of the car and go inside and pay. I don't even put the kids in the car while I am returning the cart to the little cart wrangler in the grocery store parking lot.

I have seen way too many news stories where mom just "ran in" to the gas station ro video store and left her kids in the running car only to come out just a few seconds later and her car with the kids inside it was gone.

So I will never leave my kids in the car alone.
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 7:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I would never leave my car at the pump and go in. I pay at the pump if I can and if not I will pull up, lock my car and take my keys with me IF MY CHILD IS ASLEEP OR ITS POURING OUTSIDE. As for the movies most places around me have drop boxes so you don't have to get out and if I do I pull up to the curb and get out and drop it off I do not go inside unless someone else is in the car. If the gas station is busy then I take my child in or if I can not see my car from inside my child will go in. We all have different standards and just because someone doesn't follow your standard doesn't mean your a better mother or a better person. Things happen and yes it only takes a second but if you lock your car to go 5 feet I don't see the issue. Its the dumb ones who leave the door open with it running to go inside or leave the window cracked with the keys in it running. Not all pumps take cards so sometimes you have no choice.
    Anonymous

• If I am not going to be able to take my son out of the car even if I leave for a second like gas station or movie place I won't leave...BUT...If I am going to drop off a movie in the front of the store...and I am parked right in front of the slot then yes I will but I don't even leave my son in the car when I go to the gas station and put money or anything. I will leave him in the car when I am pumping gas and can pay at the pump though. I just can't do it...I have heard of people waiting for people to leave their child for a second and take off with the car or slide in and take the child. I just can't go inside somewhere if my son is in the car even if it is just for a second.
    stummegirl

Answer by stummegirl at 8:01 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I would rather be uncomfortable and haul my daughter everywhere. I couldn't live with myself if something happened. It only takes seconds for a tragedy to occur.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2009