At what age did you let

your baby or baby's cry it out in their crib when they just would not stop crying after trying everything? and for how long? or any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oh lord, 3 months? Waaay too young.

We don't do CIO ever. There's a reason your child is crying, at at 3 months it's usually because he/she is hungry or in need of comfort.
    savvybabygrace

Answer by savvybabygrace at 8:58 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Ours was 3.5 months. We started off with 10 minutes then patting her butt then adding 5 more minutes each time. If it lasted more than an hour we got her up for no more than 30 minutes and then it was back to bed and it took us 3 days for her to stop.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I never let them cry it out. I don't believe in it. I rocked them, walked with them, sang to them or rubbed their belly if I couldn't find anything wrong with them. If all else failed we'd go driving in the car but I couldn't do the cry it out stuff.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• DS was 8 months when we did it. Just be patient and consistent with your routine however you execute it.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 7:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My DD has never been a good napper, and many days she refuses to take a nap altogether and is up from 9 am to 8 pm and no amount of rocking, singing, soothing, bathing, nursing, etc. will change that. Sometimes after rocking her for hours there is nothing else to do at night but swaddle her, nurse her until she won't nurse anymore, and then put her in her crib and let her scream herself to sleep. Did I like to do it, no, but sometimes she would fight to keep herself up if there was the possibility of interaction. I never let her scream longer than 30 minutes, and now she is 4 months old, and I rarely have to let her cry herself to sleep anymore. Good luck! If you need support just message me!
    CLRief

Answer by CLRief at 8:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I would say about 3 months and I let him cry for 15-30 minutes depending on the type of cry. He learned how to comfort himself and put himself to sleep. It didn't hurt him either. I always made sure he was safe and ok. It will not hurt a baby to cry for a little while. If I kept holding him or rocking him, he thought it was playtime. As a single parent, I didn't always have a choice.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• my dd was exactly 4 months when i let her cry for about half an hour..i tried everything, uddling, feeding, gripe water, changing her, rubbing her back, NOTHING and i mean nothing was working..so i just put he rin her crib and let her cry..mind you i was also crying because i didnt know what was wrong with her..but..ya, it was one of the worst days ive ever had, because not only was she crying, but as soon as i just let her cry, after about 5 minutes i had my mom yelling at me to do something, my dad yelling at me to go in there (to the room) and i started yelling that ive tried everything, then my mom said well can i go try and calm her down, and i said no, then she threatened to call child protective services if i didnt go back in there...oh i was flipping pissed when she said that!!!!! she never did call, cuz theres no way she ever would..but for her to threaten, that was enuff to make me mad!! and dd was fine after that!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 10:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• just one of those days i guess!! ohh yaa after that comment my mom made, i ended up leaving the house for 4 days and going with some friends to visit some other friends who lives 5 hours away..and didnt talk to my parents for about 3 weeks after that, i was so mad!! and it was tough, cuz i lived with them!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 10:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I believe in letting them cry it out sometimes but I can't do that with my son because if he gets too upset he quits breathing or has a seizure.but good luck to you it will get better I promise
    swtangelksses

Answer by swtangelksses at 12:28 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Never

Answer by rkoloms at 11:23 AM on Apr. 29, 2009