does n e one use eucalyptus oil?

i was told to steam my 1 year old son using eucalyptus oil in hot water....he gets the cold easily, has mucus in his chest n weezes once in a while n has trouble sleeping at night....is this oil good?

marzbee

Asked by marzbee at 7:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have not. I wouldn't use the eucalyptus unless a dr. recommends it. If you steam up the bath by running the shower, use saline drops and a bulb syringe, that should take care of it.

I've always swarn by using vicks (which has the eucalyptus in it I believe) on the feet and chest. Our pediatric pulmonologist said it actually doesn't do anything beneficial. It does somehow trick the brain into thinking the nasal passages are open and may make it a little easier to breathe but it's really not doing anything medically (but makes mom feel better thinking she's doing something to help)
    Hang in there!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• the dr. did rcommend using it but i jst dont know how is it suppose to help make my son breath better....yep i heard bout using vicks on his chest n feet but it doesnt really do n e thing does it?....
    right now m jst warming camphor in coconut oil n rubbing it on his chest n keeping him warm....m running out of things to do for him...he still has the cold n cough!!!..will try the saline drops for his nose?
    Anonymous

• sorry, the above was my reply....
    marzbee

Answer by marzbee at 8:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I have used eucalyptus oil . I am from India and there eucalyptus oil is a common medication used for cold/headache like how tylenol is here for fever/pain relief. When you take steam it clears the nasal passage and provides instant relief. I would say its completely safe from my experience.
    I first boil the water in a bowl, when the bubbles form add drops of eucalyptus oil and close the bowl with a plate. You can then sit with your son on the lap and the bowl in the front. Cover yourself and the bowl with a sheet. Now you can very slowly lift the plate, the more steam your son inhales the better. If he is uncomfortable close the lid and open slowly after few seconds. This way you will not waste the steam and not make you son very uncomfortable.
    revathy

Answer by revathy at 8:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• thank you very much revathy. i will try that!
    marzbee

Answer by marzbee at 6:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• you are welcome. Try to keep his feet away from the bowl as it would be very hot!
    revathy

Answer by revathy at 12:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2009