Do you read very often with your child?

I have tried to read with my children but it gets to the point where we have to skip a day or so and we don't.
Either there is practice or a game or something comes up I feel guily or maybe just plain tired. What do you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I read to my kids for at least 2 hours every day. (We homeschool though, so I don't know if that counts.)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I read them a bedtime story most nights and usually have them help, but often that is all the reading we get done during the week. I try to do more on weekends, but we like to be outside, so that doesn't work too well. I work full time, and by the time I get home, help with homework, cook dinner, get baths done, etc., there just isn't a whole lot of time leftover to read. And my kids aren't even involved in any sports or anything, so I can just imagine how hard it must be when they are. I wouldn't feel too guilty. You just have to do the best you can with what time you have, and sometimes you have to put other things ahead of reading, even if you don't want to. I hate doing it, I feel like I'm cheating them, but when they have an hour of homework, and still have to eat, bathe, feed the dog, etc. all in the two hours between when we get home and when they go to bed....well, eating is more vital.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:18 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I read to my own boys constantly, now I read to my grandkids constantly. My husband and I are avid readers. It was also something a pediatrician told us when our first was born- Reading to children..from birth on helps develope language/langugage skills.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• It is important, but so are the other activities. We usually read every night and several times during the day. But if we are out during the day or that evening, I don't push it. I pick up again the next day.
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 9:18 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• We read off and on throughout the day as well as play games, do crafts and do other activities. Then we always read a few books before bed.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I read to my son every night(usually 3 short books, or three chapters from a Book such as "The magic tree house" . That is a habit I started right from the day he was born. Now that he is learning to read for himself, I also make him read to me before I start reading to him. That way I can help him with his reading and it makes it fun for us. We have a library day once a week. This way he gets to help with choosing books he would like to read to me and choose which books he wants me to read to him. It is a calming activity before bed-time and makes going to sleep much easier. Usually it takes about 30 -45min.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My 7yr old son reads to me in the afternoon and my husband or I read to him at bedtime.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:55 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I tried to read to my son from birth, but, he refused to listen to me read to him. In spite of this, he learned to read at an above average level before Kindergarten was up and is an avid reader now at 13. He just prefered to read himself.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:35 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Every night, for a half hour before be, we have family reading time. We pile on a bed with books or magazines or a newspaper. We read (and discuss current events)

Answer by rkoloms at 11:13 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I read to the kids every night at bed time without fail. each child gets to pick 2 or 3 stories unless it is late, after bed time, or if they were unruly during the day, they only get to pick one story each. We usually go to the library once a week as well.
    I think it's really good for them, I can see that it helps them to learn a larger vocabulary, and to understand things that you wouldn't even think of teaching. My oldest is 5, and I've been doing this since birth.
    I was not read to as a child on a regular basis, I never was interested in books. As I got older, I realised that all the kids who were successful in school also liked to read, and their parents really started that by encouraging them to read at an early age. That is why I started doing this for my kids.
    mommyk5

Answer by mommyk5 at 2:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2009