When do you plant strawberries or watermelon in Minnesota?

I'm new to this whole gardening thing. Just looking for some tips. Thanks.

Ambie0526

Asked by Ambie0526 at 8:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Home & Garden

• You can plant strawberries NOW if there's no snow and the ground has thawed. Strawberries are a pretty tough little plant and they'll come back year after year. I've even found mine GREEN under the snow in the middle of March.

Now watermelons might be a bit tougher to grow. Melons love when temps stay above 50 degrees, even at night, and I know here in Michigan, even in summer, temps can get below 50 at night even in June. You would be better off using seedlings instead of seeds to plant in your garden. Get a variety that has the shortest growing period, keep the seedlings warm at night by cutting off the bottom of a plastic gallon milk jug and placing it (keep the lid on) over the plant in the evenings, or during the day too if the temps are too cold.

I'm a member of the Vegetable Gardening group here on CM. You can join us and find answers to a lot of gardening questions there. Good luck!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:02 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I am really not trying to be funny but can you really even grow strawberries and melons in Minnesota?
    I can see maybe strawberries in a standing container, bur melons need so much sun and take a long time to grow. I would call your state agricultural department as they would be the experts on those questions. Good luck to you I have tried to grow melons here in Wa. state with not much luck. Now if I had a hot house, I would be the melon queen.
    decafsis

Answer by decafsis at 8:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• well..i don't know much about it, but my sister in law 2 miles away had strawberries last year so its possible.
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 8:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• You need to figure out what zone you're in. Click here Figure out what color your area is and then you'll find your zone. You'll be able to find information on when to plant depending on your zone. Good luck

motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 1:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2009