HELP!! potty training boy!!

I'm was wondering if anyone had advice he's almost 3 and can talk, he knows how to use the potty but will not tell me until he's already done.

JoeyGraciesMom

Asked by JoeyGraciesMom at 8:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i have two boys and with both, i stayed home for about 3 days (i did not go anywhere!). i stripped them naked and let them run around like that. they each went to the potty when they needed to. i guess when they don't have anything on, it's weird to just go on themselves so they use the potty. this worked for both and i have heard tons of moms use this method as well. some keep the potty a common area like the living room, others stick to the restroom. its up to you...
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 8:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• my oldest was 3.5 yo and refused to use the potty. after doing everything that I could think of I took my step moms advice and just took away his clothes. he was not allowed to wear any clothes for 2 weeks, and had to clean up his own accidents. after the second day he did not have anymore accidents cause he hated cleaning them up. after 1 week he was tired of not being allowed to leave the house and decided that "going" on the potty was better than not being allowed out of the house.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 8:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• i was in the same boat as u and just today he did it. u just really have to make a big deal about it.. u have to put the most energy into it for him to keep focused on it.
    wishuponmystar

Answer by wishuponmystar at 9:05 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My son just turned 3. He does talk, but not well. He is in the exact same situation. Knows when hes going but tells you after the fact. Thats okay. That means hes getting it. They will get more accurate soon enough. Boys usually are a bit longer and more stubborn about pt. Just keep doing what youre doing and don't push. Encourage and reward and before you know it, he will be doing it on his own. Keep asking him if he has to go. My son does like to wear underwear sometimes because older brother does, but he does pee in them...Its okay though. It gets him used to the idea. Just be patitent. He will be ready soon.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:40 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Mine does that sometimes. Or he'll have a little tinkle before he gets around to telling me. He's trying! What are you using? My son does a lot better with regular underwear than pull ups.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 11:51 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• i'm using pull ups but from what i've been reading under wear are the way to go, i wish i could leave the potty out of the bathroom but i also have a daughter who's going to be 2 and she does not like to leave it alone lol.
    JoeyGraciesMom

Answer by JoeyGraciesMom at 1:14 PM on Apr. 29, 2009