What can I put into my bathwater for hemorrhoids?

I have witch hazel, some essential oils... I need natural remedies here..
What is a SITZ bath????

Destiny13

Asked by Destiny13 at 8:27 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Health

• Witch Hazel. It's a natural hemmroid shrinker :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I always thought a sitz bath used epsom salts.
    I would try alo vera.
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 8:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I am not sure for a bath but I would probably put an ice cube on my rectum and let it numb it out alittle or Have you tried using Prep-H.

I am sorry I am not too familiar with hemmroids....Hope you feel better.
    Anonymous

• A sitz bath is a little toilet insert. You just fill it with hot water and sit for 20 minutes. I think for best results it should be done 2-3 times a day, but once a day is better then nothing.

They sale sitz baths at like Walgreens etc....

Witz hazel is good too.
    Anonymous

• witch hazel is good for stuff like that. also, maybe epsom salt?
    nemiller

Answer by nemiller at 9:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Epsom salt, or even sea salt.

A sitz bath is basically the tub filled with only a couple inches of water, enough to have your rectum in. It should be warm water so the salt dissolves.

Afterward you can use witch hazel, on a cotton swab, and swab the area.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• witch hazel helps to shrink swollen tissues, i don't know that i'd put it in my bath.

you can put salt in your bath water, just put 2-3 inches of water in the tub with some salt, and sit in it for 10-15 min. do it several times a day.

instead of preparation h, you could use lanolin cream (like the stuff you use on sore nipples)

increase the fiber in your diet to make stools easier to pass, so you don't stress it out and make it worse. if it gets bad, take a stool softener and use prep h suppositories (if you keep the supps in the fridge, they feel relieving)

if it starts to bleed, go get it/them checked out by a doctor. it may require being lanced or banded, or maybe even surgery
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 10:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Witch Hazel Compresses work the best.. soak a face cloth, or sterile colth bandage in it and press it to the effected area.. 2 times a day... check with your midwife on the amounts and times of days
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 11:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Oh man... I had a 'roid when pregnant with DS years ago. It sucked, you have my utmost sympathy. I used Tuck's pads. I didn't have a place I felt comfortable doing a sitz bath (staying at my MILs, yuck!) but I've heard they help quite a bit. I'm sure you can google the details. Good luck.
    iloveconan

Answer by iloveconan at 12:15 AM on Apr. 29, 2009