13 yo Girl Stripped Searched by school

This happened a few years ago and the case is now before the Supreme Court. They never found any pills on her. I also do not think her parents were called before they searched her. Did the school go overboard? Do you think the school has a right to strip search a minor, or should they have called the police instead? Thoughts?

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/582/supreme_court_strip_search_case_vanessa_redding

dragonfly7271

Asked by dragonfly7271 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The school has no right to lay a hand on a child. Thinking that she might have some pills on her is not enough reason for a strip search, and even if it were, it should have been done by a female police officer with another adult female present in the room.

The school was wrong. Period.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• yea it would be a bad scene if that was my kid. its just so wrong.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 8:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• That pisses me off!!! I'd go balistic if I found out my daughter was stripped searched by anyone other than the cops, and even then they better have a damned good reason! They stepped way out of line by doing that without calling police for suspected solitation!!! I'm sorry she and her family had to go through that! I bet that school will rethink how they handle suspected drug dealers in the future!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 8:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I would be LIVID. If they wanted to search her they should have called her mother and asked permission or had her come down to observe a search performmed by a nurse but even then taking down the underwear and bra over headache medicine????? Insane.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 8:53 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• The thing that gets me is that:

A) Aren't they supposed to call the parents and get some type of consent?

B) it is over prescription Ibuprofin - about the same strength as two over the counter Advil's.

Now I can understand that a child that brings this stuff to school for their own use should not give it to another child due to possible allergic reaction.  But to STRIP SEARCH the girl?  Completely uncalled for!!!!

dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 8:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• the school has no right to do strip search !!! And parents should not stand for that!! it did not happen to be your child today, but tomorrow it could be?
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• uncalled for. Parents and police shouldve been notified. The lockers may be the school's property to search, but the children are not.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 11:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• They have no right to humiliate any child. That is just an apalling story.
    iloveconan

Answer by iloveconan at 12:05 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I am blown away by this...when I was 13, I would have had no problem telling the school officials no. Kids need to be breifed on their rights more. Schools need to understand boundaries...they are NOT law enforcement.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:31 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• There is no way... I would be in jail... there would be bodies... nobody strip searches my child and lives long afterwards...
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:01 AM on Apr. 29, 2009