My neighbor is acting like a jerk!

My neighbor who lives downstairs from me (not directly under my apt, but next door to it) is acting weird.

On Saturday, he was sitting in front of the apt complex where it was really sunny. I went outside with my daughter to take out the trash, and decided that since it was so nice out, we'd sit outside for a bit. Well, where the neighbor was sitting was too bright, and there wasn't any patches of shade, so my daughter and I sat on the other side of the complex. Well, I think I offended him, because when we were returning to the apt, he saw us, briskly walked back to his apartment and slammed the door shut!! I think he thought that we sat on the opposite side because we didn't want to sit with him, which is untrue.

Then today, my daughter and I were returning from a walk, and he was checking his mail. As soon as he saw us, he walked back to his apt and closed the door! I felt offended. Do I say anything to him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• Just smile and say hello like you would to any other neighbor. Next time you could say they need more shade around here so I don't have to go across the complex to sit in the shade.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Is he an elderly man? Next time you see him, say "Hi".
    Anonymous

• Do you normally have an OK relationship with this particular neighbor?

If so, then I would let it continue on for about another week, and then get his attention and ask if you have done anything to offend him. Be very apologetic, and let him know you think he has been avoiding you.

If not, then don't sweat it. If you didn't have a good relationship before, then whats the big deal?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• He's not elderly...he's probably in his late 40's...he's usually friendly towards me and my baby, but lately he's been acting this way. I'll pass by him and he'll sort of look the other way...stuff like that.
    Anonymous

• I'd say just let it go, from my experience, it isn't a great idea to get too friendly with neighbors when you live in an apt complex.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2009