Would you consider not.....

having an ultrasound during your pregnancy if you are only carrying 1 child, have had 3 successful and healthy pregnancies without any complications, are only 30 years old, and are very healthy and active?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Most of those things are needed for an ultrasound. I only do 1 ultrasound during a pregnancy, but many women don't do any. Ultrasounds can prepare you for any birth defects, warn you of a placenta previa. BUT many things can easily be found without an ultrasound, such as placenta previa, breech baby, fluid issues, etc. Midwives are trained to spot those things without ultrasound technology. The only reason I do the 20 week is for birth defects to prepare for.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I would strongly suggest getting the ultrasound. It not only measures the length and estimates the weight of the baby but it also looks for any abnormalities. Not to put a damper on your positive attitude which you should keep, but not every pregnancy is the same. Just because your other pregnancies and babies were fine and healthy, does not mean this one will do the same. You need to take measures and precautions with your pregnancy and that is what the ultrasound does. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:15 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Yes, because I would want the image of the baby in the womb for a keepsake and I would want to ensure this one is healthy just like the rest. It also can still have a complication or something, healthy siblings and mom don't necessarily mean healthy baby!

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 9:17 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Yeah and u could have like other problems like a hemmorhage
    Anonymous

• Measuring the baby, low or high ammniotic fluid, breech baby,etc. I have had two healthy babies and pregnant with my third now and had a hemmorhage from 9-18weeks. I also now am almost 30weeks and the baby is breech but will I know flip back down. I also am healthy and not over weight and this pregnancy is way different that the others. I also had a low placenta from when I was still early in this pregnancy till 19weeks and they said if it didn't get higher they might have to do a d&c, surgery, etc.. when the baby was born. It is where it is supposed to be now.
    Anonymous

• EVEN IF ITS ONLY 1....GET 1
    MaMaTreZZa

Answer by MaMaTreZZa at 9:51 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• OP here - my husband and I would prefer to not have an ultrasound. We have a midwife, the same one as during our last homebirth. She has said that we do not need an ultrasound and is leaving the decision up to us. As far as birth defects go, we will take what God has blessed us with, "defect" and all. Our midwife has said we are low risk and is very thorough in her examinations. My husband and I just prefer to stay away from medical interference as much as possible. We did have ultrasounds for our first 3 children but this time we would prefer to go without the ultrasound.
    Anonymous

• Op, there is no reason to have one then. :) u/s wont change the outcome. It's all what you feel comfortable with. Midwives are really good about spotting abnormalities in a pregnancy without u/s technology. the only thing it could do was warn you of a medical defect with the baby.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Like OMG it's gonna hurt the baby to get an ultrasound. It's nice to have one to just see the baby. There are lots of things that can go wrong with a pregnant woman if u don't have an ultrasound. Midwives aren't that trained and could't tell if ur placenta was low or high. I was thinking my baby was still head down, and he's not and that when I though I was feeling his butt up high is now down low and breech. So ur crazy
    Anonymous

• like why would it matter that others have an ultrasound?? it's ok to have one and share with family ,, god stupid people
    Anonymous